How do Japanese people stay so thin?
- QuinnLv 62 months agoFavorite Answer
2 Main reasons:
1) In Japan, the vast majority of people do a lot of walking. Even with their incredible public transportation system, they still have to walk to a nearby station or stop and ride to the nearest drop off point and then walk to the final destination. They do this for school, shopping, work, and even when they go on vacation. Kids, adults and even some CEO's of major companies do this. Walking is probably the most underrated exercise, but it is more effective in terms of burn off calories. Some statisticians have even studied how many steps people in each country walk in a day and it comes out that a Japanese male adult take over 6,840 steps and female adult about 5,860 steps everyday. Now, compare this to the US where adults average about 5,100 steps and this is after several years of improvement because back 5 years ago, it was only 3,300 steps per day.
2) Food prices. In Japan, food are more expensive than other countries such as the US. And some things are much more expensive. For example cantaloupes averages about $230 of just one. Meats of all kinds cost more, too. If you look at the typical meal, the serving size is also smaller compared to that in Europe or the US. A can or bottled drink is about 2/3rd to 1/2 the size that in the US. So, even if it was unhealthy the Japanese still consume a much smaller amount.
- 1 month ago
Because the Japanese are smart and don’t eat junk like us fat Americans do
- Never-AgainLv 72 months ago
1. Better diet. Fewer processed foods.
2. More exercise. Walking instead of driving door to door.
3. Portion control - they don't "supersize" themselves into cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
And FFS, a melon does NOT average $230 - I can get one for $6-10! The wildly expensive ones are special ones given as gifts - they are NOT eaten by the average family when they want to buy one.
And by the way, while far fewer obese people, not ALL Japanese are thin.
- 2 months ago
They’re very self conscious about weight, Japanese ladies will cut a taco in half and eat it slowly. They also eat lots of veggies instead of meat. And I’m not exaggerating about the taco, drive me crazy to go out with my Japanese family and feel embarrassed to eat because the ladies in the table barley eat. I have NEVER see a Japanese woman eat a 6 oz steak. Guys eat a bit more, but they also watch their weight or die single.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous2 months ago
Small portion sizes. Less meat, more veggies and whole grains. Lots of exercise - when I lived in Tokyo, I didn't know anyone who owned a car. Everyone waled all over the place.
- reme_1Lv 72 months ago
They do not eat like pigs like we Americans do.
- DzeLv 72 months ago
the average porker american consumes as much quantity of food per day as 2 or 3 asians .. and thats not an exaggeration .. they generally eat cooked meals to not canned bullsht and stuff out of plastic containers which both contain chemicals that upset the bodies natural hormones and things ....