How do stop my wife SS benefits as she has died?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Tepee
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It's your duty to inform your local SS office of your wife's death then they will guide you for what has to happen.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

Normally the funeral home notifies Social Security of a death. If this hasn't been done you need to notify them ASAP.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You need to send a copy of the death certificate to the Social Security Administration. Note that if her benefits were higher than yours you can opt to abandon yours and receive her higher benefits instead.

• 3 weeks ago

I suggest you call the SSA and inform them, just to make sure they know. They might ask for a copy of your wife's death certificate.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Where is the money going.  It shouldn't be going to you.  As long as you don't touch it in any way you are safe.  You can contact SS and tell them.  My friend's experience is that they required the dead daughter to come to an office and prove that she was dead. Which was quite difficult.

• 3 weeks ago

Social security ought to get a notification without you telling them, but you have the option to do so.

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Phone the offices and tell them.

• Bill
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

Normally the funeral home notifies the SS administration, as they are required to do so by law.  For some reason, they didn't or SS didn't do their part.  Call them or visit the closest SS office ASAP.  

• 3 weeks ago

You need to phone the DWP, and advise them of her death, quite fast too because any benefits claimed after her death will at the least be made to be paid back. At the most they can see it as fraud. Really they don't give time for grief, I'm sorry for yournloaa. But phone them immediately. If you know what benefits she gets make sure you phone all departments. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Pure flammable fluids on the soil where the grave is if I was you.

If you don't she'll just keep burning you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.