Is belief in God logical?

For atheists:

I want to see why you think, using logic, that belief in God is illogical.

For fellow brothers in Christ:

I want to see logical arguments that can show, for a fact, that belief in God is indeed logical.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Belief in someone you don't know would require a lot of reliable evidence. But belief in someone you do know, and live in daily relationship with, is automatic.

• ...Show all comments
    • Alex3 weeks agoReport

Speciation is MICRO-evolution.
      Speciation produces after its own kind.
      Macro-evolution, in my mind, would be more along the lines of...
      A monkey turning into a human.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

But despite the disabilities of inherited imperfection and the influence of an unrighteous world, God has made it possible for people to exercise the spirit of a sound mind. “For God gave us not a spirit of cowardice,” his Word explains, “but that of power and of love and of soundness of mind.” (2 Tim. 1:7) But how is it that God imparts soundness of mind to his people?

It is through his inspired Word the Holy Bible that Almighty God communicates his thoughts to man. This Word contains His perfect standard of truth and righteousness, and so it is through its pages that one becomes acquainted with the perfect mind of God, which is sound. Consequently, to whatever extent a person is able to set aside his own mind, or judgments, and accept the direction of the mind of God on matters, to that extent he will have the spirit or disposition of a sound mind.

This does not mean that one’s brains undergo some sort of change, but, rather, that under the operation of God’s spirit a person gradually learns to rectify the errors of his own judgment in respect to the various questions that may arise. He begins to make decisions and to act in harmony with the teachings of God’s Word, which is an expression of the perfect mind of God. This brings about a change in his life, as is explained in Romans 12:2: “Quit being fashioned after this system of things, but be transformed by making your mind over, that you may prove to yourselves the good and acceptable and perfect will of God.”

So it is by adjusting one’s thinking to harmonize with the perfect standard, which is God’s mind as it is expressed in the Bible and in the life of Jesus Christ, that an imperfect human can exercise soundness of mind. To illustrate: Suppose we had a clock that was a poor timekeeper and was without means of regulation. But suppose also that we had access frequently to a chronometer of absolute correctness, which showed us that our clock lost thirty minutes every twenty-four hours. We could now learn to correct our clock by resetting it from time to time. Moreover, we could learn also how to estimate its error at any point in the day.

Likewise it is with our judgment in the various matters and affairs of our life. When we measure it with the perfect standard, we find that we are either too fast or too slow, too weak or too strong, in our mental and physical emotions. And while we are not able to match the perfect example of Jesus Christ, nevertheless we are enabled to regulate our thoughts and judgments so that they conform to the perfect standard to a remarkable degree.

Therefore, a Christian exercises the spirit of a sound mind by determining what the Scriptural evidence indicates is the proper decision to make, or course of action to take. He asks himself: “What would Christ have done in a similar situation? Is there any Bible principle that governs in this matter?” He then goes to Jehovah God in prayer and asks his blessing on the course of action determined upon as a result of consulting his Word. This is the way to exercise the spirit of a truly sound mind.

• 3 weeks ago

God is not to be settled by a debate nor to be proven with science. He is to be experienced. Every year millions know him for themselves, through their own experiences with him. You should, too. It's the logical thing to do. Don't let anybody move the goalposts or resort to any other logical fallacy. It's more evidence than atheists have to shore up their fantasy that there is no God.

• barty
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Believing something that isn't supported by any objective evidence is pretty illogical. The logical thing to do is reject such belief.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Otto
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes it is logical if you believe in the only true God Jehovah.

To believe in false gods is not logical !

• Belief in God requires you to step beyond the narrow limits of one's own understanding and comprehension and accept there is something more out there. so by limited human logic, its illogical.  God is more complex than that

• ...Show all comments
    • Alex3 weeks agoReport

And I don't know everything, for instance:
      I don't know why atheists are atheists.
      I also don't know what we can agree on all the time.

• JASON
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Why WOULD I think a mysterious invisible, non speaking, non appearing, non acting being made me? Because people in older times wrote a book saying this? Err, no. No baby knows about gods when they are born, they have to to told it exists. And what proof do they meet in the everyday world, non. Imagine children born who are not told these lies. One day they will ask, where did I come from, if you're brave enough you tell them from your mother and father having sex. One day they might ask, how did life begin? You tell them from the soup of chemicals that mixed in primordial seas. I have no need to invent a being to explain everything which stops questions being asked. Questions make us human, not ignorance.

• Alex3 weeks agoReport

God does act in our lives, and He did speak to us by the prophets, and now, by the Scriptures.

• 3 weeks ago

Belief has nothing to do with logic.

• ...Show all comments
    • Alex3 weeks agoReport

Belief is a CHOICE. You can choose to believe something, or you can choose not to believe it.

• 3 weeks ago

Belief in God requires the God kind of faith. The kind of faith that transcends the logic of this natural world.

• 3 weeks ago

What ? Which god - yours or Zeus . ?

Are talking donkeys worse or more proof of Zeus or your invisible Skydaddy ?

• ...Show all comments
    • Alex3 weeks agoReport

Yes I do. God sent His begotten Son to save us, so that we can be called "Children of God."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.