I have a talent for singing, so how do I love singing for it and not for fame and fortune?

I try time and time again NOT to have the desire for fame and fortune as my primary motive for doing music or anything else. It's not a righteous motive and it's not genuine.

Chances are you won't have to worry about 'fame and fortune', but in the meantime you can start by trying not to soak up praise from people who compliment your singing.

It's interesting, because some of the best musicians and vocalists I've known in my life are also some of the most humble.  Many are extremely critical of their own ability, and are the last to be self-promoters.

I was playing at an open mic one night and there was this guy with a keyboard who got up and did a set - he played and sang a handful of Elton John tunes, and it sounded beautiful.

When he got done he seemed almost apologetic for having taken up time, despite being probably one of the best performances I had seen in a long time at that venue.

So what's that got to do with R & S?

There is bright fame and dark fame.