Who do I call about my neighbor having a rooster in the city? ?

I have been woken up every morning around 4 or 5 am by my neighbors rooster. I'm not sure which neighbor specifically but I know that it's in the city residential area where most apartments and houses are no more than 50 feet apart and that it's most likely not legal to have it especially of its disturbing people's sleep. But I wouldn't even know who to call for that 

Try calling code enforcement and find out if this is even illegal. If it is then you can ask them to enforce the code on whoever owns the rooster but you are going to have to figure out who's rooster it is.

• Judy

If you don't even know who's rooster it is, there's nobody to call. Nobody is going to come out and go on a rooster hunt.

• Robin4 weeks agoReport

Obviously I would figure out who has it if I knew who to call. Not an answer you should get credit for 

There is nothing you can do without knowing if it is indeed illegal & without knowing who it is.  You check with animal control or code enforcement to see if it is illegal or not but they cannot do anything when you do not know who has the rooster. 

Yes having a rooster in city limits is often illegal but it is not the case in every city in the entire world.  Again- you have to check your local laws to see if it is indeed legal or not. 

I get that it is annoying but you just do not have enough information to do anything about it. 

• Ann

Call animal control and ask about keeping chickens in your neighborhood.  Then get their recommendation on how to handle

Make sure it isn't legal first. The police.

• Scott

Animal control or code enforcement. Don't call the police.

Don't call the police. 

Animal control IS a branch of law enforcement and they deal with....animals!

Call animal control.   You may wish to check their website first as they very likely have a link to animal related laws for your location.

You'll probably need to take a walk around the neighborhood and figure out where the rooster actually lives in order to report it if you hope to receive any kind of meaningful response from animal control.   Like other law enforcement agencies, they have more important things to deal with so make it as easy as possible for them.

Start with the police, non emergency number. It might be code enforcement too.

Call code enforcement.

I'd start by calling your local police department ( not 911) to inquire whether or not it is a violation of an ordinance to have a pet rooster where you live. If it turns out that it is, you can call your local animal control to investigate.