REAL asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

How much pocket money should be given to a girl of 18 years according to American standards / British standards?

• Ocimom

If you have a job, then YOU are responsible for saving any pocket money.  Why should your parents still be supporting you with pocket money?  You are an adult now.

• Foofa

There's really no hard and fast standard for this and a lot of 18 year-olds wouldn't get any pocket money from their parents. Some of them would already be working and earning their own cash.

NONE... ZERO,,,ZIP,,, NADA... YOUR 18 get a freaking job and move out of the nest..

£0... I have been working my backside off since I was 17 I am now 21. Never have my parents given my pocket money even when I was younger. They'd just buy me things if I asked and that was when I was 10 years old.

its up to the parents and how much they can afford to give

• Jane

An 18 year old, male or female- there are no standards in the UK, where I am. So 'pocket money' in the UK is a weekly amount you give a child unable to earn money independently. 

In the UK, you are by law an adult, but many at this age still depend on their parents to support them eg. at university, in their new job, getting a car or a place to live while they build up their independent life.It depends whether the family has wealth to support them. Most students for example have part time jobs while they study, to get experience for their resume and earn  cash.

Being dependent on your parents at age 18 seems a bit sad, I am sure you would prefer to work towards becoming an independent adult.

Every parent does it different, but I don't *give* money to kids. They earn it just like everyone else. Tell her to get a job.

There are no standards. An 18 year old girl can have any amount of money in America. She can have $1,000 in her pocket, or less money, or more money. It's the same thing with a boy.

• Kelly

$0.00

I have girls who are 18 and 20, I don't give either of them pocket money.  They both have jobs and earn their own money.  Here and there as needed I will help them if they need it financially (think car repairs or other unexpected expenses) but it's not a gift... it's a loan and they are required to pay it back. 

Before they had jobs if they wanted money, they also had to earn that ...  it wasn't just handed to them.  I found things they could do around the house to earn it, I own a bakery and I found things they could do there and things like that.

I have sons too and it's the same system for them.

• David

None, because at that age she should be out working and earning her own pocket money.