Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

My dog killed my bird. How should I scold her and move forwards?

Two days ago my Golden Retriever 'Tabby' killed my new parrotlet. I was heartbroken because I was making really good training progress on her! She could step up instantly, sing on command, and almost started flying to me at 6wks old.

The second I saw my bird dead on my bed I cried and harshly (but not harmfully) threw my dog outside while yelling 'No! I hate you!', I should point out she had killed the bird pretty immediately before I found it so she knew what I was mad about.

I haven't been letting my dog sleep with me, have any treats, or have any pets and cuddles since that day. This pains me because she's been sleeping with me since she was a pup! Am I scolding her correctly? I don't want to hurt her and 'beat the ****' out of her like my mother would've done but I also have this horrible grudge since I thought she would never do anything like this. 

The only dog I trust right now is my pug puppy since she's never interested in my smaller animals but it still feels wrong to treat Tabs so harshly.

Ok I get it, it's too late to scold her anymore now. She doesn't know what she did anymore and I've forgiven her. Sorry I asked a stupid question; it's been a hard month and I can't think clearly obviously.

Again, I get it. I never yelled at her or disciplined her after the very moment it happened I just didn't let her sleep with me or gave her treats (I do let her now). I don't abuse my dogs, dudes. I have learned from this and forgave her, I won't punish her after the act has been done.

btw I didn't have the bird cage in a low place/out in the open but my dogs some sort of lock mastermind. It took ten tries of building a stable fence gate so she wouldn't get loose from the backyard while all other dogs that lived here couldn't get through the standard lock. I have no clue in hell how she managed to undo the lock on a bird cage but she figured it out while on her tippy toes. (I put the cage on a 41/2ft dresser.) Ig never underestimate golden retrievers lol.

• Carmen
    Favorite Answer

Every action has a reaction right or wrong good or bad the lesson in this story you hopefully take away is animals do what’s goes natural to them period even chasing something that moves whether they are trying to figure out what it is what to do with it or is it something to eat for them be wiser keep a bird in a cage or out of the site of a dog or cat because you risk the danger of what happened so give your dog a break he will protect you better than a bird any day. 

On behalf of all dogs,,, we're sorry

A correction on a dog happens immediately & then forgotten & all things go back to normal. The dog does not understand your behavior or the way you are treating it now. Canine instinct is strong & the breed of the dog is a bird dog. It was canine instinct & not something that is really correctable.

It would be like doing my dogs the same way cause they killed a cat in the backyard.

I think the blame is on your for not putting the parrot where the dog couldn't get it. Birds are prey to a bird dog.

Without realizing it you have been abusive towards your dog. He doesn't understand you or why you are treating him the way you are.

Instantly you should just move on. It is only at the moment & dropped. No correction for instinctive behavior. If it were a bird from outside it wouldn't matter as much.

• Grace

Some dogs are hunters by instinct and it is unkind to punish your doggie for what it does not understand.

• PAMELA

The dog does not know that it has does anything wrong, you should have made sure that the dog could not get to your bird, it was your fault that the dog died, not the dog's fault at all.

• patty

u have a dog, why did u get a bird, knowing full well dogs would likely chase a bird. So u can blame yourself.

You need to have a trial for the dog.  This would be a capital case and so it's like that the dog will be executed.  You may want to offer a plea deal where the dog escapes the death penalty but is severely beaten.

• Jojo

Two days ago!!!!!! And `now` you are asking how to punish the dog. Yeah right.....

A good story, which quite frankly is so `flawed` it can only be from a juvenile Troll. Jmo.

• Rick B

I assume you are trolling. But if not, your dog has long forgotten about the bird and any "punishment" you do now will in no way prevent her from killing a future bird.

you shouldnt you should endevour to learn how dogs think and act and wake up to reality instead