Can you sue someone?

On Facebook for libel for calling you gay when it's not factual

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You could try, but it wouldn't lead to anything. Did they just call you gay in a comment? Are there any monetary damages to collect?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

sure, but if it isn't factual, why do you care what someone calls you?

• Steven
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

You can sue everybody, if he has misbehave with you, but one thing is that on Facebook you can just block him or consult with the Facebook support team for misbehaving.  

Attachment image
  • Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

While its not Nice I dont think you can Sue someone for that

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Anyone can go to court and file a suit against anyone else for anything, you just need the filing fee.

To successfully sue someone for defamation, you must show several things.

1. The thing said or written must be read or heard by at least 1 other party.

2. The thing must be untrue.

3. You must have suffered some actual loss (money) because of the untrue thing.

Number 1 is easy... it's posted on Facebook.

Number 2 is not as easy, we don't know if you are gay or not.

Number 3 is the kicker... if you can't *prove* an actual financial loss solely because of the untrue thing, you have no case. Hurt feelings or being called names by others doesn't count. The untrue thing must have caused you to lose money. If you didn't, you don't meet the requirements.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I doubt you would be able to show any damages.

• Susie
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A lot of people say a lot of things that aren’t true on social media these days. I think you need to prove that it’s done you some harm or caused a personal loss, in order to sue (and win).  It’s unfortunate that society today is so callous and disrespectful,  lacking decorum or consideration for others. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You can pretty much sue someone for anything these days, so yeah. I don’t know what chance you’d have, but it may force a settlement or something.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.