Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 2 months ago

My wife told me to put our daughter. I can’t afford therapy. I’m already paying for enough. What’s her problem ?

If she wants her in therapy she can pay for it. She said our 19 year old daughter is in bad shape. Our daughter washes her hands about 500 times a day her hands crack and bleed constantly. Her hands look horrible. She carries Lysol and about 10 bottles of hand sanitizer everywhere she goes. My wife said she talked to her college professor and said our daughter would come to class crying a lot and she seemed zoned out a lot as well. Then there was another professor who said my daughter ran in front of a car at one point but someone pulled her out the street. All of her ex boyfriends were said to be abusive and I believe her current boyfriend is abusive well. in high school she was thrown in a garbage can by a Group of football players it seems like she had terrible taste in men. She also is scared to drive has black outs every time I try to teach  her how to drive. She almost wrecked my car while I was trying to show her how to drive. When she came home from college for Christmas break she spent the entire time locked up in her room and only came down for about 5 minutes. She doesn’t seem to want to talk to me and her mother much. My wife keeps begging me to pay for therapy since my wife doesn’t have any money. I pay for enough all these freaking bills piling on. Last think I’m thinking about is paying for therapy. They can work that out amongst themselves on how they can pay for it. 

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

Your wife needs to contact the campus counseling center for the college your daughter attends. Lower cost therapy can usually be found at such places. But if your daughter's OCD is as bad as it sounds she'll probably require medication as well. That too can usually be had at a discount through the university student health center.

• mmm

let your 19 year old daughter who does not work and let the wife who doesn't have money worry about therapy?  sounds to me like you don't love your daughter, shame on you for not caring about her well being 

sure hope you don't get ill in your old age and your wife puts you in a home and let someone else deal with you....

Your daughter's mental health doesn't sound like it's an issue between her and her mom that they need work out among themselves. If you don't want to bury your daughter in the next couple of years, wake up and get her some help.

You list all the good reasons for therapy yet deny wanting to pay for it.

I can see one big reason why she needs therapy pretty clearly.

• audrey

Tell your wife to get a job! Or tell her to find some free clinical help. At 19, you are not legally forced to pay for a shrink for her unless you want to.

• PAMELA

At 19 she is an adult and you do not have to pay for anything.

Does it mean anything that she is your daughter and desperately needs help? At least ask your wife if she woule go half on therapy costs.