Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMen's Health · 3 weeks ago

Is there a double standard between men and women's modesty regarding medical treatment ?

If a woman needs an examination that requires being nude or needs bathing by a nurse she can request a female doctor/nurse because she is uncomfortable being nude around a male but I bet if the genders were reversed a male patient would be told to suck it up. 

• sian

Would you really rather be examined by a man than by a woman? The difference is that we might be taken advantage of by a man.

It would all depend on what the female nurse or doctor looked like. But my wife would take care of all that, the only times she left me was to go get me something to eat, I never liked the food in a hospital. In fact, one night she slept in hospital bed with me because she was cold, imagine that, we had trouble sleeping together in a queen sized bed at home. She was hot natured and I was cold, I kept getting closer to her which made her even hotter. 

• ron h
      3 weeks agoReport

I can't criticize a relationship that makes everyone happy.   I was in the hospital for about 36 hours after surgery.  I did NOT want my wife to be at the boring hospital the whole time i was there.  That worked for me.

• ron h

I think you're somewhat right, but as a man, I wasn't expected (maybe not allowed) to be girly shy.

But there's actually some conversation now about whether patients are allowed to dictate that a dr office or hospital should discriminate against a male or female doctor. Personally, since it IS very personal, I think that when it's practical to choose, we should be able to choose who's gonna be examining and touching us.   But, I was born a man and always expected to be a man so never got terribly modest. Obviously in non-med, "mixed company," male nudity is rude at the least.  In med situations, I'd somewhat prefer a man, but you do what needs done.  My wife actually prefers male gyno's b/c she's homophobic, and I'm not. 

• edward

Not true. Men have requested “that guy that was in here earlier” to do it, i have been busy some days because they don’t want just any male nurse, they wanted me. Fact is though is that there are fewer male nurses than female nurses. Only about 25% of nurses are male, we’re outnumbered. Some patients have even chosen to wait till morning because there was no male nurse on staff that night.

• edward
      3 weeks agoReport

I specialize in the peds 16 and younger but the men who request me are mostly all single men 15-35.  I don’t usually help out in the adult wards

• patty

women seem a little more sensitive about a male doctor seeing them naked. Not sure if men feel this when they have a female doctor.

• ron h
      3 weeks agoReport

Given a choice, I'd see a man. but I've had a female doc do a DRE.  It had been a couple of years and it was time. I asked her to do that.  She was TERRIBLE at it.  NO LUBE on her glove!  I needed it done, she was my doc. 

We changed insurance a few years ago and I got a new doctor who was female.  She was about 5' tall and didn't look older than maybe 20.  She told me she wouldn't take me as a patient without an examination, so I made an appointment.  She took my vital signs, looked at charts and stuff, and then she asked me if I'd be more comfortable with a male doctor for the intimate stuff!  I've never been asked that before, but then I never had a female doctor before.  I figured she'd probably seen enough guy-stuff, so I said 'No, go ahead.'  She turned out to be a pretty good doctor!

I'm uncomfortable being naked in front of ANYONE.  Patients are allowed their modesty as much as possible.  Any decent doctor takes that into account.  Even just the act of taking off your clothes.  My current doctor is a guy, and when I wanted to show him something on my chest that worried me, he offered to step out into the hall while I took my shirt off!

• ron h
      3 weeks agoReport

He expected you to be so girly-shy that' you'd not remove your shirt in front of him?  Wow.

Sorry, but I did not see that. I saw a male nurse working OB and he was it, the patient had no choice. Same on wards, the nurses are men or women and you have no choice. The issue is women patients can accuse male nurses of molesting them so in general if they object you give them a female nurse if you can.