Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 3 weeks ago

Why in the UK do you call us Americans yanks ?

I was born in America and lived here all my life and I have encountered a lot of people from the UK that call me a yankee woman and honestly it kinda hurts my feelings 

• RR
    Favorite Answer

Not all of us. I never use the term.

• RR
      3 weeks agoReport

Thank you!

• Orla C

Get over it. You're called Yanks in every English-speaking country. That's the nickname for you.

Even people in the USA call themselves yankees unless they come from the south. The baseball team New York Yankees is a good example. People from the South also called northerners "yankees." Yanks is short for Yankees. People from aboard often yell "Yankee go home" when they are mad at American policies. Sometimes people from the southern USA tell people from the north carpetbaggers or scalawags and they may say "yankee go home" to people who are from the north.

Just call them a bell end.  When they are insulted maybe they'll get the point.

Historically, The English colonised New England. The French colonised the Mississippi river ,west of the Appalachian Mountains. So there were two languages spoken, English and French.

The French word for English is 'Anglais', as spoken by the French in the Mississippi to the English in New England.

The word 'Anglais' has been corrupted over the centuries from Anglais > Yanglais > Yankais > Yankees > Yanks.

That is best description I can give as to how the word arrived in the language.

The English in Great Britain have lots of nick names for different nations and races, some socially acceptable and other not socially acceptable.

I your turn , the Americans refer to us British as 'Limeys' . Reason, In days of sailing ships fresh food was not readily available. So when ships reached the Carribean the first fruit to be eaten to prevent scurvy ; lack of vitamin C, was 'limes'.

It dates back to the war; it's not necessarily derogatory.

it started in america ..its what the people in southern states called the people in northern states ..dont worry about it ..it not derogatory ..we call the irish paddy`s ..the french frogs ..germans gerry etc ..we get called limeys ..the french call us roast beef ...water off a ducks back 

• as i used to say when i was in the RAF call me anything you like as long as you don't call me late for dinner for a few years in the RAF it was hey You

That dates back to the 18th century. I have American friends who work in the

UK who call themselves Yanks.

• Bill

then you do not your history

Doesn't it go something yankee doodle stole a pony and rode it into town.

It's a slang term that dates back to colonial times.  Nobody knows the precise etymology.  

Here are several theories.  https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-origin-of-the-te...

You can call your British friends limeys.