Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

If my child’s mother hired a lawyer, wouldn’t that lawyer contact mine?

So my 3 yr old child’s mother only has supervised  visitation because she was doing drugs in her home while my daughter was in her custody. She’s had her rights taken for a little over a year now. Shes been claiming she has hired a lawyer for the past month now. This past weekend I asked her who her lawyer is and she won’t tell me but says “you should get a notice from him soon.” Wouldn’t her lawyer contact my lawyer as soon as he’s hired?? I’m worried that she is going to take me back to court and get her rights back. She claims she’s clean now and getting her life together but she has been an on again off again Meth addict for seven years and I doubt she’s really clean. I’m worried about my daughter’s  safety and I do not want to have to give her mother shared custody back.

How would her lawyer know the name of your lawyer without asking you?

You can't control what she does so it is useless to worry about. She may well be cleaning up her act and you'll have to live with it. She has the legal right to pursue a change in custody.

• xyzzy

Once she hires a lawyer, they will have to research the case and do a preliminary discovery. Normally then they may contact you or your lawyer if they know who that is and offer a settlement or they may just file suit and you will be informed as to the court date.

• Bill

don't give it a worry until your lawyer tells you that an action has been filed in court

If I were you I would be asking my lawyer these questions. If you trust anonymous strangers on the internet more than him you need a new lawyer.

i would talk to your lawyer about it