Alex asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 weeks ago

My mother tongue is not English, if I spend many years living in a country that only speaks English, what language will I think about?

Favorite Answer

probably english, i was born in south america so i can speak spanish but when i think i mostly think in english

My mother tongue is not English. If I spend many years living in a country that only speaks English, what language will I think IN?

Probably English, but that's an individual thing.  I speak four languages and randomly think in all four of them.  I don't know how that works.

• Zirp

about? we have no way of knowing.

What language will you "think in"? Any that you know, and maybe in between too. You can have thoughts that you don't have words for

If you continue to speak your native language in addition to English, you should be able to retain your thought patterns in your  original language.