promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can I take the required foreign language courses in college?

I know that most colleges require at least two years of foreign language, but I will not have 2 years when I graduate due to not being able to take them while I was in HS before starting homeschool. Do I need to take the courses BEFORE college, or can I also take them while enrolled in college?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Lili
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You need them BEFORE college if the admissions requirements say so. What's more, you may be required to take additional foreign language classes once you enroll in college, in order to graduate.

What would be the point of the high school requirements if you could fulfill them IN college?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Check with the college, your major and/or minor could also play a role.

• Laurie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends on whether the college require 2 years of foreign language for ADMISSION (yes you would have to take it before you apply), or for GRADUATION (yes, you can take it in college).

Some schools may waive a requirement — for admission OR for graduation — under special circumstances... so, you should ask.

• 2 months ago

That two years of foreign language is required to APPLY for admission to college. Your homeschooling program needed to include foreign language! There are plenty of good foreign language learning programs you should have included, such as Pimsleur or Rosetta Stone. Supplemented with community college language classes, your local library's foreign language conversation group, or classes (e.g. Alliance Francaise), you could meet requirements.

Now you get two years of foreign language before you can apply to university. Possibly your local community college has no foreign language requirements for admission, take your 2 years of study there, then transfer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

That varies by school. My university requires 2 years of foreign language for admission, but will provisionally accept students without who meet all other admissions requirements IF they take and pass those language courses in the first year.

• drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If they require it to apply, then you need to have it to apply. 

Not all universities have that requirement. 

Figure out what universities you want to apply to and contact the university admissions office and talk to them.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If the college requires 2 years of a foreign language to be admittted, then you need to take them before you apply for admission.

Not all colleges have this requirement.

Some colleges also require 2 years of a foreign language as part of your college general education. This would need to be taken at the college level.

Again, not all colleges have this requirement.

• 2 months ago

Some colleges will not admit you without 2 years of a foreign language. You will almost certainly be required to take 2 years in college, but you'll find that most of the students in, for example, Spanish 1, had two years in high school, so you'll be at a real disadvantage. Why can't you get foreign language credits through your homeschooling? You'll have to ask the admissions officials at the schools you apply to if they will accept you, or if there's an alternative way you can show some knowledge of another language. 

• DON W
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It depends upon the school.  Some require that you take them before being accepted to the college.  This is something to ask the colleges you're planning to apply to.

Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can take the foreign language while you are in university (unless that's an admission requirement). 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.