Roommate issues?

So my roommate recently got fired, he got a job again but it pays less. I haven’t gotten rent, I’m putting overtime in at work to pay the other part of rent. I know I can’t kick him out since he’s on the lease, but he plays apex and Xbox all the time sometimes waking me up cause he bitches he died. I haven’t touched my Xbox in about three weeks, due to me working. He doesn’t give me money for utilities or WiFi. Any ideas of what to do? I messaged him a few days ago saying we need to start going 50-50 and he replied with his bank info showing he has no money, and he’ll try to give me whatever he can, but his previous job couldn’t barely pay for what he needs to. My opinion if he has time to play Xbox he has time to work. He has a corvette in my garage that he has to pay for cause he co-signed for a loser drug dealer who got sent to jail so now it’s sitting in my garage rotting away. He can’t drive it since there is a lot of snow and the car has issues when it’s wet, water will leak in the passenger dash and ruin the fuses. I’m at the end of the line. The lease has 4 months left, and is up in May and I’m not sure what to do anymore. He gets angry and upset if I suggest he get a better job stating he just got hired why does he need to look for a new job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

This has undoubtedly been a harsh lesson for you.

You can't just kick him out, even though he is not paying. But you can start looking for a new roommate and tell Mr. Useless to vacate his bedroom while you legally evict him. Where will he sleep? On the floor, which is befitting of his failure to contribute to the rent. Begin legal eviction proceedings immediately. Track every dollar he has failed to pay so you can sue later. But bear in mind that even a win in civil court won't put money back in your pocket if he doesn't have any.

• PAMELA

So tell the landlord, why are you dealing with all this? it is nothing to do with you, just pay your rent.

I would be telling your friend you are going to be looking at alternative living arrangements. He needs to do the same.. Once you return the keys they will take possession of the property and he will no longer have a legal right to be there.

They may in fact gather up his things and dump them with him on the side of the street.

When you have found something else, Write a letter to your landlord and explain that he (house mate) is no longer working and you can no longer draw on your savings to keep on top of cost, there will be weeks maybe in a row where you cant pay your rent say when the power bill comes in or maybe a medical cost. but when you do have enough to pay a week you will pay it. Alternatively if they can agree to reduce the rent by 50% you feel you could pay this each week. if that is not acceptable should you look for alternative place to live.

Put the ball back in their court as they can either agree to lower the rent, agree to just get rent now and then or agree to let you break the lease and find somewhere cheaper. When they speak about cost just say you cant get blood out of a stone, they already know the reason you have approached them is because your experiencing financial hardship.

Not the way they like people to approach these things, but one that puts the ball back in their court to decide what is to be done.

You needed a "roommate agreement".

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/roommate-agreem...

You can have him Evicted for non-payment by going to court.

You could also go to court for a judgement, too.

Finding a new roomy may be difficult.

His reduced income does not affect the lease agreement, that is ultimately his legal problem.

The easiest way out, is for You to Move out with the agreement of the landlord.

maybe he should sell that car to pay you rent

You might not be able to kick him out but the landlord can if he doesn’t pay his part of the rent.