What are your experiences with MRIs?

I am getting an MRI soon and I’d like to know what to expect. I’ve heard some people say its scary? How so? How long do they last? Do you feel anything afterwards? 

• Edna

The scariest thing about an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) is the feeling of claustrophobia that some people get from being inside a closed, metal tube-like thing. 

They're noisy, though; and you might be given a pair of earphones so you can listen to music while it's going on. You'll be given a dye contrast fluid through an IV in your arm, to make your organs "show up" on the MRI image. 

The MRI usually takes at least 15 to 30 minutes to complete (not counting the time it takes to set up the IV and get you positioned). Just relax and close your eyes, and it'll be over before you know it. You'll feel nothing unusual afterward - you "feel" about the same you would if you had gotten an x-ray. 

People with some medical implants or other non-removable metal inside the body may be unable to undergo an MRI examination safely, so be sure to tell your doctor if you have any of those devices inside your body. You'll also have to remove all  rings, earrings, necklaces, piercings, watches, anything metal beforehand.

• Lili

It was noisy and took longer than I expected, but it wasn't remotely scary.  They are non-invasive; they are not painful. The tube is open at both ends, so even claustrophobics (I'm not one) shouldn't be bothered.

Really, it was no big deal.

It is a good thing, minus the beeps and sounds.

• Steven

It is not scary, it just our thinking, how we feel. you just need to calm during the MRI. It is necessary to know about any mind related disease, so be peaceful. Good Luck!  

• Carson

It's a cylinder about 3 feet in diameter. Does the order read "with contrast"? If so you will be given a shot of iradioactive iodine in your knee.

You will be placed on a table, give a bulb to squeeze if you want to stop the procedure. The table is moved into the cylinder.

You will hear buzzing and clicking. The tech is adjusting parameters. Only you knee will be scanned.

It sounds like an old washing machine running. The tech usually gives you ear buds, some have music, some don't. And no, nothing you own can go in that room.

For a knee figure 10-15 minutes. Done.

Good luck

• Thanks for the info. How did you know this was for my knee? I didn’t mention it in my question. 

you normally get shots and enter a into a machine that looks like a donut

• Damien

lol its nothing, u just lie down in a bed like thing and the machine moves the bed inside a round circular area for a couple of minutes to scan ur head. U cant get up inside that round circular area as its narrow, nothing scary.

• Mercy

Only scary if you have claustrophobia. Can last 15 minutes . You feel fine afterwards.

• Speed

Take them seriously when they say no metal. They have you change into a gown or not, depending on your clothes and what they're studying, then lie on a relatively narrow bed-like thing and slide all or part of your into a metallic tube. There's a lot of clanging, so even if they offer you some music (some have that ability) to keep you calm, it's hard to hear it. Pick something loud, like metal or rock.

You do need to hold still in the position they put you in, but it's not a big deal. Other than the banging sounds, there's nothing scary going on at all. I laid there and thought my own thoughts, since I couldn't hear my music most of the time.

IIRC, it took about 20 minutes, then you get your own clothes back and go home, with no aftereffect at all.

Well it’s scary because if there are any metals when it’s on, it can kill you. The magnet is really strong so it’ll attract any metals within the room towards it. Imagine a pair of scissors coming at you and you don’t have time to dodge. 

You also go through this thick metal cylinder. There’s nothing exciting to see when you’re inside the cylinder. They should put in a tv or something to keep you entertained while your whole body is getting imaged. 

Just don’t have any metals on you when they turn on the machine and you’ll be fine. 

• Tavy
      3 weeks agoReport

Stupid, you are placed in a gown of course there are no metals on you.