Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 4 weeks ago

Say there is traffic jam on highway. There is a merging lane on the right for people on ramp to get onto highway. ( more in description)?

I am already on highway in traffic Can I go on the merging lane to bypass all the traffic?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You *can* but if a cop sees you do it, he won't like it, and the other drivers will most likely think  you are a d-bag.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

You can. But you won't save much time.

On the M25 on a Friday night I used the junctions to bypass a lot of stationary/slowmoving traffic. Onto the slip road, across the roundabout at the junction overpass, down the rejoining sliproad.

• Scott
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Passing on the right is illegal.

• STEPHEN
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Passing staionary traffic is not illegal

• 4 weeks ago

If there's a traffic jam, the right lane, merge lane, shoulder isn't going to help you bypass the jam. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Hell no. Hell no. and hell no.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You take the risk of getting a ticket if the police see you.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You will get a ticket.  If not, you will get stuck there.

• Jay P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Some people do but in reality, depending on the length of the entrance/merge lane, you might get ahead a few cars.  In the grand scheme of things, how much time do you save?  Will you get home any sooner?

Plus, I've watched people scan their rear view mirrors for people that try to do this and then proceed to block them.  This can lead to road rage...  Is it really worth it?

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

That merging lane typically has to merge back in. The distance is normally short, and in many aggressive driving cities in heavy traffic, you don't get back in easily. It is unethical, and would only be illegal as reckless driving. Some people occasionally enter it in error thinking it is a continuing or exit lane. A state or country could make it illegal as a specific violation. It also could be dangerous if cars are entering.  

• 4 weeks ago

I doubt it very much. Since the lane is for merging onto the freeway I doubt you are allowed to move into it. I have tried a search but can not find anything. You would probably get a ticket for unsafe lane change.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.