Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 3 weeks ago

Could you tell me about the first few weeks of being a parent and some of the challenges you faced?

I am a college student, and have been tasked by my professor to learn about parenting. I have some questions regarding what y'all do. Greatly appreciate your feedback :)

- Could you tell me about the first few weeks of being a parent and some of the challenges you faced?

Knowing what you now know what are some things you wish you knew then.

- Before you had your child what type of questions or concerns did you have.

- Who (or what) did you consult with in buying baby products or just learning how to parent?

1...i often forgot my childs name..i wasnt use to having a kid and calling it a name.

2..i was TIRED

3..i was mad cause i had hemorrhoids and my a$$ burned and hurt and itched.

4..i was traumatized that my Vacooch had just managed to shove a 6 pound human out of it!

5..my belly went from flat to a wabbling jello stretch mark looking mess..:(

• sarah

My daughter had jaundice, so the biggest challenge was probably getting her to eat enough to where she would pee/poop enough to get her bilirubin level lowered quickly (her pediatrician wanted to see us back for another check three days after her one-week checkup). I know people are always saying newborns never sleep...but honestly, that's about all she did until she was about six weeks old. I was instructed by the pediatrician to feed her every two hours and try to get her to eat at least an ounce each time. Baby girl was much more interested in sleeping, so it was definitely tough to do (when she was actually hungry, she would eat an ounce and sometimes a tad bit more with no issue). Once we got past the jaundice, baby girl kind of put herself on an every-three-hours feeding schedule, both day and night. The lack of sleep took some getting used to, but it honestly wasn't terrible (until she was four months old and STILL waking up two or three times a night...I kinda lost my mind at that point, lol).

The day after she turned six weeks old, colic hit her full force. Every night at around 7 p.m. (without fail), she would cry inconsolably for an hour or two. There are products on the market that swear they help with colic, but they didn't seem to do much good. There was a week when she was about three months old that she cried almost nonstop; I thought it was just colic rearing its ugly little head again, but I finally took her to the doctor thinking it might be an ear infection or something. It actually turned out to be reflux, which was no fun at all and stuck around until she was about six months old.

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back in time, I would tell myself that yes, it sucks, but it WILL pass. There are so many times I felt like a horrible mom and lost my patience and my temper (I never shook her or anything like that, but still). But I was NOT a horrible mom, and it wasn't her fault that she had colic and reflux (or wasn't hungry at the drop of a hat when she had jaundice because she's a human and not a robot). She's almost nine months old now, and the nighttime feedings have been reduced to either one or none (just depends on how quick she went to bed after her last meal of the day). In the thick of getting up and down in the middle of the night, I always swore that I would never miss it once it was over...and now, I honestly kind of do. I used to roll my eyes when people would tell me to "just enjoy it, because you're gonna miss it one day," and now, I'm that annoying knowitall telling newer mamas the same thing, lol.

Before I had her, I had questions and concerns about pretty much everything. Almost nine months in, not much has changed there, lol. I consulted with trusted family members and friends whenever I needed help, and I still do. Unfortunately, I also Google way too much. I definitely don't recommend using Google since it kind of likes to present the worst-case scenario (I'm working on breaking my habit of using it); stick with loved ones or your pediatrician.

Okay, I'm done rambling. Hope this was at least somewhat helpful. :)

• Kaleigh2 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much!

• KatieC

The first few weeks are a complete blur lol. Let’s see..challenges. Not sleeping..at all..ever. Being woken up by crying every time you start to fall asleep. Praying that you could just get a couple of days to recover from the massive trauma your body went through (if you’re a woman). Freaking out that the baby won’t latch, that the baby isn’t pooping enough, that you aren’t making enough milk. Being an emotional wreck because of hormones. Arguing with your spouse because you’re both exhausted.

Honestly, there really is no preparing beforehand. You can read every baby book under the sun, but it’s totally different when you actually have an infant. I wish I would have just relaxed more and not stressed so much over schedules and things like that. AND I wish I would have known that it’s okay to not be bubbly mother sunshine. That pressure and guilt over not being super duper bubbly and happy was completely self imposed and almost drove me insane.

• sarah
      3 weeks agoReport

I completely agree with the not being "bubbly mother sunshine" part. That was something I really struggled with (and still do from time to time). I would always feel so embarrassed to admit that I wasn't absolutely loving every minute of parenthood.

Ask your mother