Non EU parent right of residence?

Hi, I’m a non EU parent of 2 Italian national kids (7 and 11) I’m the primary caretaker as mum has left the family home. Can I apply for citizenship based on my children’s nationality?

Thanks in advance  

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Pretty sure you'd have to secure these children citizenship in your home country and raise them there. Once they're adults they'd have the right to return to the EU and establish the income there to apply to sponsor you. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

Sorry, doesn't work like that.  Minor kids, do NOT grant you nationality of Italy.  

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No.........................

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No, you take your children to your country with you. They have citizenship in your country.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

I regret to inform you but CHILDREN do not grant citizenship or immigration privileges to their parents.

They do impose on you the responsibilities of parenthood. A huge drain on your wallet for decades.

You already have a Citizenship and your children probably have that one too.

That Mother has her own citizenship is her thing. HER CHILDREN probably have it as well. SO WHAT. They probably were born with two citizenships. YOU APPLY and MIGHT get it.

WARNING International custody battles can become very costly and complicated. Suggest you come to an agreement before you need a judge to figure it out and impose their solution.

The CHILDREN have TWO parents. Each parent has from their home country certain privileges and obligations.. The CHILDREN when in one country are 100% a citizen.

They are half and half when they explore the other 190 countries on the planet.

• These children almost certainly have three citizenships.

• 3 weeks ago

Committing procreation is not a qualification for any visa or immigration anywhere. Your children hold birthright citizenship in your country of citizenship, so get their passports from your country's consulate & take them home with you.

• 3 weeks ago

You cannot get citizenship through your children anywhere in the world, citizenship always works downwards not upwards.  But I assume you are in the UK in which case you can naturalise as a British citizen after holding either PR or ILR for a year. 

If your children were born in the UK to an Italian mother, they have three citizenships; British, Italian and yours.  Suggest you get them Great British passports asap to establish their right to remain after 31st January. 

If you do not now have PR or ILR, you will get ILR if you have primary custody of them through the court.  Sorry this happened to you.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Which Country do you want citizenship, this is an international site.

• 3 weeks ago

No; your kids are not grounds for an application.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.