A question about English grammar?

Do the following sentences have the same meaning?

1. I finished writing the letter.

2. I finished the letter.

Favorite Answer

I finished writing the letter is correct if you're referring to that. This is because "I finished the letter" could refer to reading a letter as well. 

I hope this helps :)

Source(s): I have a BA in English

Yea ur grammar is horrible

• bluebellbkk
      2 weeks agoReport

There is nothing wrong with either of the sentences.

Obviously the second.   A letter is the written word that tells a story, of course it is written.  Using the word " writing" is redundant and wordy.   I am taking it for granted that you are "writing" the letter.

If you are reading the letter, then the second is correct and you should say "I have finished READING the letter" so one would know what was done with the letter that was written.

• bluebellbkk
      2 weeks agoReport

@SheilaK: as others have already said, in the second sentence the asker could have been writing or reading the letter. Either way it would be fine to say 'I finished / I've finished the letter'.

either\ihdvhuhvfhvuf

I have finished writing the letter is correct. 

• Billy2 weeks agoReport

No, they can be taken to have different meanings. The first one is self explanatory, the second one is where confusion may occur, as it can be taken to have the same meaning and the first one, but can also mean that you have finished reading the letter 

They have different meanings.  Then, there is the matter of poor use of the language.

• ron h

No.  2 is unclear.  It wold work ONLY in a context that made it clear whether you had read or written the letter.

What you did with 'the letter' is finish writing it, so #1 is correct.  The subject is not clear in #2--what does the 'letter' mean, and how did you finish it?  The letter could be a letter someone wrote to you that you finished reading,

Basically. The 2nd sentence doesnt specify what you were doing to the letter exactly, but it is to be assumed that someone was writing it. so in a way ,yes

Number 2 could also mean the you finished reading the letter, as well  as writing it.  It in general speach it would imply the you finished writing. Since this would be in context of what had been established in the conversation about the letter, so far.

Hope that is clear.

Source(s): Native speaker of American english.