Can my doctor excuse me from not taking PE at all?

I am a Senior in high school and because i had an eating disorder at the end of freshman and the first semester of sophomore year I was homeschooled. I need to do a year of PE left and it doesn’t fit my schedule. I am a part of Cross Country but a sport doesn’t fulfill the PE requirement I also am in a training program with the police department. I do a lot of physical demanding activities and doing PE is going to wear me off because I can not handle anymore physical activities. My doctor also says it’s alarming because they don’t want me to go back into my eating disorder habits. Can my doctor write a note to the school district to excuse me from taking PE so i can graduate with my friends?

• Laurie

Your priorities are extremely messed up. If you really wanted to graduate on time, you'd take PE. Drop the cross country and/or the training program if it all is too much for you.

It is really low to ask for a medical excuse just to get out of something you don’t want to do.

In essence, you’re asking the doctor to lie. Shame on you.

• drip

Technically yes a doctor can do that.  My daughter never took gym in high school. Her doctor had to write a note to the school nurse each semester, it had to be  specifically worded in order for the school district to accept it. 

Since you choice to do a lot of physical activity out side of school I don’t see how you can excuse doing physical activity in school. If you can’t handle any more activity then drop out of elective physical activities and get through the required class. 

You can handle the rigors of training for the police force but can’t handle gym in school? Good luck getting a doctor to sign off on that.

Go ask your doctor. But they have to agree and believe you are capable of police training and track but not gym class

• Cu Tie

Yes, since you have a valid medical reason (eating disorder), your doctor can write you a note that excuses your participation in PE.