Extremely smart and intellectual person who can't handle simple every day tasks?

Is there a condition that causes someone who is extremely intellectual and intelligent to act as though he lives in a bubble? Simple tasks such as putting up an A/C filter, getting a certain brand of humidifier via doctor's orders, or putting a new vacuum cleaner together seem insurmountable. I have to say it seems almost "not normal"...is there a medical/psychiatric term for someone like this?

No, I mean, this person really gets flustered or confused with simple every day tasks...something as simple as going to the grocery store to get something requested and they need to make a phone call from the store... things that require little to no thinking confuse them, but reading a book about WWII and then remembering everything that was read is super easy.  Sounding totally intelligent and coherent, but unable to perform very simple every day tasks well. 

Was just wondering if there was an actual condition for this because I have never seen anything like it before.  This person has a master's degree and two bachelors for heaven's sake! 

Favorite Answer

Yes, the higher their IQ the more likely they will develop odd behaviors or mental disorders in adulthood. They are attracted to people and want a romantic relationship, but often lack social skills.  

On the other hand, it isn't their superior IQ,  but bad parenting. They might have a dominating, mother who made them dependent on her. Or a Narcissist mother who was overly critical. A controlling, overprotective mother is equally as damaging to a child's self-esteem and lack of confidence.   It is like information overload when they are outside of their safe space so they become more reclusive and introverted with age. 

• tigeress
      4 weeks agoReport

It could be the father, but it usually the mother who has more influence over the developing child from birth.  A dominating, manipulating  mother usually dominates the father as well. Tip: Watch how a man treats his mother,  that is  how he will treat his wife. 

I think it is asymmetry if the brain. That’s why very intelligent people, or people with great talent can do what others can’t, and can’t do what other can. 

They are not genuinely intelligent. They are simply directing their available intellect to studies.

Study past undergraduate level is hard to use as a yardstick to intelligence as you don’t really have a cross section of society that they are being compared to. ie the entry requirements, who they competed against to get the marks they got,etc

By definition as per the maths, exactly 68% of people are of average intelligence. When polled, nearly 90% will say they are. Intellect does not qualify as or disqualify personality and behavioral issues such as not wanting to follow instructions or throwing it to the floor when it doesn't work the first try. That said, IQ tests test on different vectors. One may be literally off the charts in verbal math (no writing down equations) but fail miserably in history and facts like "who was the first president." As did an actual teste I had.

But that all said, some "crazy bums" may in fact be the smartest among us because, as we mere mental health professionals can assume, when you reach that level of intellect, defined as the speed at which one's brain physically creates and destroys cellular connections, it must be like trying to download a 57 terabyte video backup onto a 1972 electronic typewriter. That mutation of extreme, intelligence is a problem as much as no limbs is.

• Newlife4 weeks agoReport

Good answer....thank you! 

Yes, its called 'impatience'.  I struggle with it a lot because I don't take the time to figure out the little things, like I do with big things.  Almost everyday, I become frustrated with trivial things because I am too prideful to consider that simple things don't actually "fix themselves", like I want to believe.  Expending time and effort on things that are profoundly deep and complex doesn't make us "smart", if we get stumped on the simple things.

I'm in my 30s, and just recently realized how much this effects me, and began working on it, whenever I can think of it in the last couple of years.  I love puzzles and problem solving, but forget to tell myself to see the little things the same way.  Whenever I do, I realize how childish and immature I can come off to people, which isn't a good look for me.  This helps me avoid passing blame on things that aren't the problem.

You don't do yourself any favors by seeking a label or condition to ascribe to it.  It only keeps us in a box, and make you feel like you can't do anything about it.  It really is a "snowflake" mentality we all have to get over, so that our true potential and capabilities can be recognized.  I think we say we can't "do" or "learn" something, because we think we're too intelligent to admit that, 'we don't know', which only seems worse than, "not doing something about it". 

I get so blinded by my own ego, it doesn't occur to me to ask myself, 'is there another way of doing this'.  

• Newlife4 weeks agoReport

Thanks for your answer! :-)

You have to understand what it means to be ''intelligent''. What is that word actually means. Intelligence simply means having information and knowledge. You may have a lot of information about science and academia, but at the same time, you may have never done any of those chores you are referring to, and therefore lack any information related to how to do them. Some people refer to those things as common sense, or book smart vs street smarts. In reality, being intelligence does not mean you have knowledge about everything, it just means you have knowledge about the things you have studied and experienced, you obviously have no knowledge about things you have not studied or experience. The person you are referring to simply have not experienced putting a new vacuum cleaner together so he doesn't know how to do it.

• Newlife4 weeks agoReport

Agreed... and the first time I had to do it I had never done it before either... so what did I do? I looked at the instructions and followed them and put it together.  I get upset because it does not even occur to this person to try.  But i do appreciate this answer very much! Thank you! 

There is no name for it.

Many people can't pump their own gas or tie their own shoes.

And they are very smart people.

It's not what you "know" it's how you use it.

probably an extreme case of laziness or lethargy. but i'm not an expert on it.

Hopeless cover it.

Anxiety.       

• Newlife4 weeks agoReport

Or fear, correct? Fear of making mistakes?