So if 18-20 year old teens are adults why do they have to listen to teachers in HS and get homework?

Favorite Answer

I think the youngest adult is probably 21 and 18-20 are not adults, btw I want a friend, can you be my friend?

• Henry2 weeks agoReport

I want a friend who is not a SJW, far left or even a crazy feminist, judging by your posts i think you are neither of those things.  Finding for someone young and open minded i can talk to your bio says you are 19 i am 22 hope that's not a problem.

If that age & still in high school chances are they're not adults mentally and intellectually,

probably had to repeat several classes, might've even been held back a year as a result.

I have multiple disabilities, in addition to which English isn't my first/dominant language, 

yet graduated at 17 with over a 3.0 GPA (4.0 being the maximum). What's their excuse?

They don't have to.

They could leave school and go work for the local council cleaning the streets or maybe a job in a burger joint.

They choose to do the school work because in the long run it will benefit them.

To do that they need to listen to the teacher and do the required homework.

• Clive

Why would someone over 18 (apart from them becoming 18 during their last year, as you do) be in school?  They wouldn't, so why do you think they WOULD be?  Why don't you even know what school leaving age is?

• College is still school. Plenty of 19 year old HS students. 

• y

Why are 20 year olds in high school?  I'm sorry, but unless you immigrated here, didn't speak the language, and got a late start. A 20 year old should not be in high school

They don't have to.

Compulsory school attendance laws apply to minors up to age 18.

Anyone in the USA can withdraw themselves from high school on or after their 18th birthday without their parent's consent and with no legal consequences.

Therefore any person age 18-20 (or even older) who is still attending high school, listening to teachers, and accepting and doing homework is doing it voluntarily.

• I know that a minor is someone who is charged with being a MINOR in possession. That's a common sense issue which you seem to lack.

No 20 year old should still be in high school

• Lv 6
      3 weeks agoReport

and youre telling me to gtfo like youre not the one on MY answer. you gtfo

If you are 18-20 and in school then you should have been listening better.

Most young adults are in college and they want to get an education for a career, so yes they listen to professors and accept and do homework and a lot of it. And if they do not, then the University or college kicks them out, problem solved.

If you are still in high school an in the 18 to 20 year age group, that means you are still living at home, and you follow your parents rules.

You do not want to continue going to school, you can legally drop put and move into your own place.

However in your case, your either a TROLL that enjoys stirring the pot or your just not that intelligent in the first place

• Clive
      3 weeks agoReport

Well said.  The point is that education past 18 is voluntary.  When I went to university, I CHOSE to be there and do the work.  I didn't have to go.

They kind of have to if they want to get a good job

• Coffee Drinker
      3 weeks agoReport

Plenty of trade jobs that don't require high school, just an apprenticeship or training program. Many of them pay upwards of $80k with full benefits within 2-4 years of entering the field. Sounds like a good job to me.

They should be in college by now