EZ asked in TravelUnited StatesHonolulu · 4 months ago

How do I tell my brother to avoid Hawaii? ?

He wants to go with his wife for a 2 week vacation. A couple of years ago I went to the Big Island and I had never been met with such racism, disdain and just flat out rudeness. If you are not born there, you are an outsider and treated as such. Every where I turned it seemed the locals would be me 'the eye' and tell me 'go home haole.' Not only that, one night we went to dinner up North by this pretty beach called  A-Bay and while we were at dinner, our jeep was broken into, our bags stolen, and they even stole the spare tire off the back of the jeep. It was the worst trip I've ever had. 

So that being said, I'll never ever go back, but I also don't want my brother to have a similar experience. How do I tell him to find somewhere else to go? 

BTW we stayed in Kona up in Wikowlowa

• MS
    Favorite Answer

This seems more like a rant than a question.  If your brother wants to go to Hawaii then let him go, have his own experience, and make up his own mind.  Plenty of people have exceptionally positive experiences there, so yours sounds more like the exception rather than the rule.  And if you really feel the need to tell him what you think, I don't see the difficulty in that - just tell him what you think.  I don't know what kind of "advice" that takes.

You have selected a best answer, I will answer anyways. Do NOT be afraid of these worthless c-nts. Please don't . Let your "brah" (aka "bro") experience this. Tell your brother your experience. I think he will take your advice into consideration for defense.

I've encountered the "haole" before. It is laughable. I tell them "who is the minority here" and "your rent is still delinquent. The "haole" comment makes "your late fee goes from 8% to the maximum of legally allowable to 10%. Enjoy." (F-ck me over, so help me God, I will make life miserable for you.)

Overall, racism has no place here or anywhere.

Regarding crime. Property crime is endemic here due to the countless homless and poor people here. Always keep your valuables with you at all times.

Source(s): Resident of Honolulu . Work part-time in real estate (sales and property management)

Share with him what you said here.  I have also experienced strong feelings of hostility from locals, but nothing like what you described. Depends upon where you go and what you choose to do, as well. Tourism is the life blood of the islands, so if your brother stays well within the tourist circuit, he should have no problems in this very beautiful, but very expensive part of the world.

As a hoale, I've been to Hawaii dozens of times and visited multiple islands including the Big Island.  I've never had a problem with racism. 

• Tara3 months agoReport

*haole

I stayed on the Kona coast in Hawaii, and never had any of these problems.  Other than the local workers (who were friendly), the vast majority of people were tourists from the mainland (like me).  If you want paradise, it's hard to go wrong with Hawaii.  

Sounds to me you were on the southwest side of the island and wearing a Aloha shirt. Anyway try Maui, Oahu (not Waianea not the west side) or Kauai.

• Tara3 months agoReport

*Waianae

Just because YOU had a bad experience there doesn't mean your brother will. And it's not your place to tell him where he can and can't take his vacation. He needs to be allowed to live his own life.

• John

You know I listened and I listened and I listened. And I just didn't hear your brother ask for your advice.  Funny how that happens.

I can't think why. 

The Americans invaded then annexed their islands. Turned it from a simple  paradise into a tourist hell hole, then the drugs arrived and destroyed what was left.