Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why is my puppy peeing on the couch?

7 months, mixed breed, 50 pounds, neutered 16 days ago. We gave him a bath on Friday and kept him upstairs since it's warmer. 2 hours later, he went downstairs and jumped on the couch and just released. Didn't squat or lift his leg or anything. Last night, we noticed another wet spot in the same spot, but it didn't smell like pee or come up yellow on the white towel.

Why would he be doing this now? I heard marking urine is different from regular pee and it would stink a lot more. This didn't stink. The second one, my husband is thinking that it was leftover moisture from the cleaning we did Friday, and puppy likes to lay there, so maybe his full weight brought the moisture back up?

I will take him to the vet if it happens again, just really confused. Everything else is normal; playing, eating, sleeping a little more than normal, but my vet said as the testosterone is leaving his body, he may lose his appetite a little and be a little more dopey. When he's up, however, he's UP and wants to play, play, play.

Favorite Answer

Post-bath zoomies and pees aren't unheard of. You say that you held him upstairs? He was probably bursting at the seams and just had a little accident, that's all. The cold, the excitement, all of it just made him go. I have to make sure my dog is 100% dried off so I can take him outside, and there he goes, running around, then he just pees. If he didn't purposely squat or left his leg, I think this may have been a one-off, and you've learned your lesson- dry him off completely and let him out!

I have honestly never heard of there being a difference between marking urine and regular urine. If the pee smells BAD, there is something wrong. Pee should just smell like pee. No smell may indicate a kidney infection or diabetes (sweet smelling, normally). And if he was very hydrated, no color would show up, either. If it happens again, he may be trying to tell you that something is wrong. More often than not, it's a simple UTI that a vet can take care. These aren't uncommon after surgery, as the cone can make it difficult for the dog to clean himself, so bacteria can easily get up in there and wreak havoc. 

Clean the area on the couch well, in the meantime. Vinegar can work to clean and deter him from peeing, as many animals hate the smell and will avoid it. You can mix 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water, spray, leave on, and blot. The vinegar won't be noticeable to you, but your dog will certainly be able to smell it and avoid it. If he sniffs around and knows he peed there, he'll think he can do it again and again.

And this has NOTHING to do with lack of training. 7-9 month old puppies, fixed or not, can enter a rebellious time and all training seems to go out the window. Just keep at it and be consistent. And let him out after baths!!! :)

• E. H. Amos

LOL, you can use a towel to help dry the dog. (I have specific dog towels) to help DRY mine after a bath & you can use a Blow Dryer on them - as well.

• Grace

If you bought it used and another dog peed on it then the dog is merely marking his territory

Because you're too lazy to house-train him. Your fault.

Because you haven't trained it properly and taught him/her to pee outside.

• Lv 4

You're an asshole.

It might be a result of neutering - I'd have him checked by the Vet.  It would be unusual, but it's possible.

Urine is urine.  Dogs don't have two "tanks of urine," one for marking, one for peeing.

I'd supervise, supervise, supervise.

• E. H. Amos

"I heard..." is the bane of all existence.  Yep, urine is all the same, and from the same place - dogs have NO WAY to put in a "special tank" & concentrate it.

cos it lacks the required housetraining

• Mark

Because he probably thought it was grass, and if the dog has done it more than once, because you didn't clean it properly.

• Lv 4

Wait, what are you talking about???