Tom asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 4 weeks ago

I work night shifts on a 4 on 4 off pattern, what’s the best eating routine?

So I work from 8pm to 7am for 4 nights, and my job involves sitting down for 11 hours (with the occasional stretch) on social media and emails helping out customers. One thing I have noticed is how much weight i’ve put on, probably due to the eating routine I have as it’s completely messing my body up.

Has anyone got any advice on what I should be eating, the amount, and when I should be eating throughout my shifts? I sleep from about 8am to 4pm so I never know whether I should be having anything at home before I go to work or if I should have something at work etc etc.

I hope you get my point, and please help me out! Not a fan of putting on weight from having this job so I need all the help I can get!

P.S. I’m trying to fit gym into my schedule between waking up and going to work, so any advice around this would help too. Thanks!

• k w

just ring packaged fruit in real juice, not sugar, I know they sell it at the store, I get the natural applesauce and mandarin oranges in juice as well....so just get used to eating lighter as you are moving less, and don't let the weight pile on before doing something about it......

• .

It doesn't really matter when you eat, but what you eat (your calorie intake). You can use the calculator here to help you determine what your daily calorie intake should be based on your current age, size, and activity level https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator 

.

If you don't want to eat before you head to work in the evening, then don't. If you do, then have something. If you sleep all day, then your first meal is 'breakfast' regardless of what time of day it is. As for 'what' to eat, the more processed food you cut out of your diet, the better. Avoid eating a lot of food burgers/fries types of items as well. Shoot for 'whole' foods (lots of lean protein, fresh fruits/veggies, healthy fats, complex carbs, and plenty of water).

.

If you wake up at 4pm and have to be at work at 8pm, then like many people who wake up and go workout/run, you too can put on your workout clothes and get in a workout, then still have time to relax a bit before having to get ready to go to work. 

Your work consists of "Sitting"?  You should be a Blob.   The only way to lose weight is to move your muscles (leg muscles, and waist muscles)  Do HOURS of high intensity walks so you are panting a sweating.  That is your body generating heat to burn off calories.  Sitting does not make you hungry.  You eat out of habit...not necessity.