promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

Who Inherits the money if your parent dies? ?

If someone’s parents died, would their social security go to the child?

38 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

You have asked a question that can have a broad amount of answers depending on the details of the situation.

Is the parent married? Even a divorced parent who has been married for 10 years can collect half of their deceased exes Social Security benefits when they reach retirement age.

Is there a last will and testament? The deceased person's estate and their bank accounts will go to their heirs as listed in the last will and testament or the estate will be divided among the survivors according to the pecking order. You can find out what that means by locating your local Probate Court to see the rules in your state.

Are there minor children under the age of 18? If so, there will be Social Security benefits they are entitled to, which amount is determined by the Social Security contributions during the deceased working lifetime.

You can go to the Social Security Administration website to find all the information you may need in regard to whether or not you are entitled to any Social Security benefits through the death of a parent.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jeremy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

The person or people to whom the deceased left that money. There would need to be a valid will produced first.  The parents s.s. would not go to the children but there would be some kind of benefit available to the child. It would, probably, have to be administered by an adult until the child reached 18 though.

• 2 months ago

Peter Gore Seer,

The Government Are The First Benefactors, Then Its Share Out There After.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

How old are you?  Their SS stops at death you you might be eligible if you are a minor but one does not inherit SS benefits.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

you mean "when" your parent dies

• John
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Stealing grandmas social security checks when she dies is a Felony.

• 2 months ago

Money in the bank goes to the people nominated in their will or if no will then to the children first.

Social security stops upon a person passing.

• Clive
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It goes to whoever their will says, or if they didn't make one, it goes according to the intestacy rules in the law of wherever they lived.

But this is irrelevant to social security.  It dies with them. No more will be paid, unless there is some rule in the law that a minor child gets something.  But that will be a benefit of their own, not just continuing to be paid what the parent got.

Similarly to a pension scheme where it is often in the rules that if you die leaving a surviving spouse, that spouse gets a widow(er)'s pension, often half of what you got.

Just out of interest, my Dad died aged 58 in receipt of Disability Living Allowance.  This was a social security payment just to help him, so it stopped on the day he died. (I don't think he even knew anything about it - he was going rapidly demented due to brain cancer and needed to be looked after, DLA is intended to help pay for that and I had to apply for it and explain why he couldn't.  So he didn't get it for long as the cancer soon killed him.)

What DID happen, though, is my mother started receiving a widow's pension based on his social security payments because that was in the law at the time, and she started getting one from his company pension scheme.  The fun part of that was when the company pension administrator worked out what her pension should be, it turned out to be bigger than the maximum allowed by law - oops, they'll have to rewrite the scheme rules!

So now she's having quite a nice retirement based on what Dad paid in for as well as what she gets in her own right (she worked for the same company and that's how they met in the first place).  But what she's getting has nothing to do with wills and inheritance.

• 2 months ago

Social Security ends with the parents, although there may be something different with minors. As for everything else, if there's a will, that takes care of the inheritance problem. If there is not will, the estate goes to court (probate) and it figures out where stuff should go.

• ...Show all comments
    • Judith
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Clive, in the US ONLY social security determines who gets social security benefits.  Not a will.  Not state  law.

• 2 months ago

If the child is under the age of 21, the money would be protected by an adult guardian or relative since they are a minor.

If the child was an adult and it was left in the parent's will to them then yes they would. 

• 2 months ago

When a person does, their Social Security ends.  If they have a spouse also on Social Security, the spouse will continue to receive either their own SS, or that of the spouse if it larger, but they will not continue to receive both.

If they have minor children, they can file for "survivor benefits" which they may be able to receive until they turn 18. But that is their own account and they are not receive the parent's SS.

No one in inheirts SS.  It ends when the person dies.

• ...Show all comments
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Judith, I've been receiving SS Retirement benefits for years. I guarantee you that when I die, those benefits will not go to my grown son - they will cease. The only money he will receive will be as a named beneficiary in my life insurance policy - not from SS. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.