Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

how does one go about getting a diagnosis for autism? ?

no piss take answers, i’m desperate and struggling.

i was bluntly told by a family member last year that i need to go to my doctor and get an autism diagnosis because there’s “no way” i can’t have autism. I think they’re right and i’ve always thought so but i’ve been too anxious to bring it up to anyone. i’m going to see my doctor on friday to talk about it but where should i begin? what shall i say rather than “i think i have autism”, or is that the right thing to say? if you’ve been through this then please give me suggestions.

being diagnosed would allow me access to the help i know i need at college and at my job.

Be advised that these tests are not inexpensive. However, if you need some answers in order to help you make some decisions about your life, then it would be worth your while. 

What you need is a good psychologist who does psychological testing. 

Autism is genetic and there are over 110 DNA factors now tied to Autism.  That's the latest research on it.

• Ann

Go to your primary care physician and ask to be referred to a specialist who can give you a battery of tests to see whether your responses fall into "the spectrum" categories.  Be advised that these tests are not inexpensive.  However, if you need some answers in order to help you make some decisions about your life, then it would be worth your while. 

Source(s): licensed specialist in school psychology
  • Lili

Get a referral from your doctor to a specialist who can evaluate you.

Just tell him or her, "I've been concerned for some time that I might be on the autism spectrum, and I'd like to be professionally evaluated. Can you refer me to a therapist who specializes in this area?"

If you are asked why you feel this concern, be prepared with a list of behaviors, issues, and problems.

Good luck.

I don't think "I think I have autism" is a bad place to start. This will allow your doctor to start asking all the right questions, regarding what the next step should be.

Since you already have a Dr. appointment - why not wait until then to get your answer?

You could tell your doctor your whole story, and ask your doctor for a referral to psychiatrist or psychologist to make a diagnosis. 

Everyone sure would like to have a junk diagnoses called autism now wouldn't they?

• .

Make a list of all your symptoms prior to your appointment and then show the list to your doctor.  Let your doctor diagnose you.

• Lili
      4 weeks agoReport

Ordinary doctors aren't trained to assess and evaluate people for autism.

If you say “I think i have autism” to your doctor, they are obliged to take you seriously. Be direct, doctors are professionals.