Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 weeks ago

is there a large mountain range in the middle of Atlantic Ocean that possibly sank underneath ocean?

just right in the middle , outside of the straits of Gibraltar? (Reason I ask, is that i have been reading that there IS indeed a huge mountain range there and that it even sticks up in parts today where the Azores islands are today (and that it is even volcanic today) is that true?

if so, why do so many believe that Atlantis never existed? & they even said that scientists have mapped the entire Atlantic ocean floor and found know proof that there was a large continent where Plato said was Atlantis, but really?

Update:

if so, why do so many believe that Atlantis never existed?  & they even said that scientists have mapped the entire Atlantic ocean floor and found know proof that there was a large continent where Plato said was Atlantis, but really?

Update 2:

okay, please explain this "RIDGE" label....that is what is making me doubt that it isnt (at similar to) a mountain range. does it look like a mountain range? how high from the ocean floor does it rise? is it possible it got submerged by water 9,000 years ago?

Update 3:

if it sits on a "ridge" of tectonic plates, is it not possible that when the plates moved so much that it caused it to sink?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes - it's called the mid-Atlantic ridge. A ridge in this context is simply a mountain range that's mostly underwater. A few parts of it rise to form land-masses, notably Iceland.

It's several thousand miles long, stretching from the vicinity of Greenland to about the latitude of Tierra del Fuego.  It's spreading at the rate of about an inch a year - very fast in geological terms.

It's existence was first theorised circa 1850, and proved in 1872.

It's young in geological terms and is still going up, not sinking down, so it cannot be used to prove the existence of Atlantis.  

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Yes.  There is this song..  I will find it now.....  Yep. Found it.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about a science book

Don't know much about the French I took

Don't know much about the End of my cock

yes that was it...

• Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

lol, who wrote that song>?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

There are the Rockall seamounts off Scotland that would have poked through the surface when sea levels were lower. And the Scottish Outer Hebrides are the remnants of eons old volcanoes that would have been mountains during those lower sea levels too. During the Thurian and Hyborian Ages they could have been called Atlantis.

• 4 weeks ago

It's called plate tectonics, the earth is full of plates surfacing the entire planet, when they push up against each other they raise mountains. The plate that India is on was far further south, when it shifted north it raised the entire mountain range to the north.

• Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

if it sits on a "ridge" of tectonic plates, is it not possible that when the plates moved so much that it caused it to sink?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

I think the skepticism about Atlantis comes from the lack of concrete evidence that it ever existed. 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Yes, it's called the Mid-Atlantic Ridge but it didn't sink. It was formed by 'plate tectonics' and volcanic activity under the Atlantic Ocean pushing the Earth's crust up.

comment: The website explains it, look up other Mid-Atlantic Ridge sites and read them also.

https://sciencestruck.com/how-was-mid-atlantic-rid...

• Lv 5
      4 weeks agoReport

• 4 weeks ago

There are large mountain rangers everywhere, Kevin.

• 4 weeks ago

I have read that there's a "rift" in the mid-Atlantic, where the two sides are spreading further and further apart. This process has been going on for a long time, which is why the coastlines of Africa and the Americas seem to have fit together in the past.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.