What were the 60s like to live in?

Favorite Answer

I grew up in the 60s new music new clothes it was a fantastic time and girls in mini skirts O yes and what a time I had too.

ps, It was Fab.

• Lôn

Great....much safer and more decent than it is nowadays.

• steve

Great. I wasn't born until 1964 so spent most of it getting pushed around in a pram and then push chair.

At the end of the decade I was only 6 so don't remember much have no recollection of music at the time but remember having a fun childhood. 

I could go out and play with friends at 5 and no one was worried. One of my first memories was running away from home with my friend. We got about 50 yards to the end of the street and our quest for freedom was over as we were forbidden from crossing the road.

It was a simpler time when kids played in the streets and everything seemed innocent. I am sure it was not always that way it seemed so.

The beginning of the 60's was very different from the end. I really think that anyone who wants to understand, should just watch the movies of that era (noting what YEAR the movie came out), and observe the big change in the times.

The very early 60's was a simpler, cleaner, more peaceful time. 1960 -1963 was in my opinion, the best time to be alive.

The Beatles really swung everything around, starting around 1964. The US became more youth oriented, more creative, but it still held onto decency.

When the Beatles took a nosedive into drugs and [what I call] rebelliousness, the whole country followed them. The Viet Nam war was escalating, so we had more to rebel about. And rebel we did. It became the popular thing to do. Anybody who was conservative was considered a mama's boy or girl. All your friends were hippies. With the war, a lot more drug use came around. I think maybe soldiers learned to use them in Viet Nam, so they brought that back with them.

Everything was going great guns, as far as immorality goes. Everybody was a hippie. Until a guy named Charles Manson's followers committed a heinous crime. And then everybody backed away from being a flower child.

After the very early 70's, a new game started.

Very 60-ish.

Actually: seemed a lot like the 70s to me (a result of where I lived, probably)

except that television was quite a bit "cleaner" in the 60s than it was in the 70s.

It was the best of times.It was the worst of times.It was the age of wisdom.It was the age of foolishness

great plenty of Jobs Rationing Over But too many Muslim  Imports causing Riots

Better than the 1950s, I'll give it that much.

• Kathy

In my opinion, it was easier and better than life now. Music was better. Kids actually knew how to play outside, and not be glued to video games.

• Jesere

Girls were not allowed to wear pants to school until 1969