Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

What was it like to be a young adult in the 1980s?

Favorite Answer

If you quit or lost a job, you could find another one in less than a week.  Gas prices were low, between 90 cents and $1.19.  Food costs were low.  Tuna was 10 cans for $1.  I remember that bread was 50 cents a loaf. Most meats were pretty low yet, the most expensive was rib eye and that was just under $4 a pound.  I got squid for .75 cents a pound.  You could go to the movies for $3.

I bought a new car for $5,000, a Pontiac Sunbird.  It took me 4 years to pay off, the interest rate was 24%.    Rent was $150 a month for an upper flat in Milwaukee on the west side of the city (decent area).  My phone bill was just under $6 a month. I had a rotary phone.  Computers were huge things used by business and usually required a 'cold room' to stay functioning.

• Marli

That sounds more like life in the late 1970s; but it was different there from here.  It took me over 2 mths to get a job in my field in 1980 and I just scraped by a layoff in 1988. My basic monthly phone bill was $24 Cdn.  We're the same on bread and meat. Rent of a 1 bdm. apt. was $200Cdn./month

It depends which country you are talking about.

It was not easy for some in the 80s.

I was a young adult in the 1980's. Can you be more specific with the question?  

Reagan was a disaster.   I drove a delivery truck and got laid off a few times.  Once for just two weeks, then they called me back.  After 6 years they finally let me go for 'lack of work'.

Check out John Carpenter's movie They Live, which is a commentary on the Reagan Era and the homelessness he caused.

The 80s was also when I discovered Rush Limbaugh and I couldn't believe how he got away with his hate and lies.

Other than the rise of the corrupt conservative movement the music in the 80s was interesting but MTV took over and basically killed rock and roll.  There were either flashy pop music or hair bands unless you stayed underground with remnants of the punk/new wave movement.

The mid 80s was also when I got my first apartment.  I lived there for only about 3 months.  I was lied to and the place had cockroaches.

Fortunately, a friend of a friend was moving and put in a good word for me and I moved into a flat.

Here's a song by the Ramones about Reagan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-uK0ElBMKE

Youtube thumbnail

I wouldn't have the foggiest because when the 80s ended, I was 6.