Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

Are you O.K. with "adult language" resonating 24/7 at your regular place of work?

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

Nope.  I think you consider "swear words" adult language.  (Same with "adult movies; people usually mean porn).  But if you REALLY mean "adult language "(like "I saw" rather than "I seen",  "I have run" or opposed to "I have ran", or "please contact me" and not "please contact myself"), I'm all for it.

No.

It's discourteous, and rude, and offensive.

It shows me that people who speak like that are basic and unrefined.

There are far better ways to speak, but it is rather obvious that a large percentage of people lack effort to improve themselves and exist outside of their selfishness.

Just look how people drive cars, if you want another example.

I refuse to speak like that in public.

And I am able to control myself.

• Pontus

Absolutely. 

I speak five languages.  What counts as a cuss word varies considerably among them.  

There is nothing innately bad about any given curse word.  It's custom/tradition that makes a word "bad".  That changes over time as well (and from dialect to dialect of a language too).

In other words, cuss words are a human creation, with no true logic to it.  

They don't bother me in the least.

I have read many articles about studies that show highly intelligent people cuss more than others.  

That was certainly what  happened at my last  place of work. Seeing it was only part of an otherwise very lively, intelligent and witty constant conversation involving everyone in the room I had no problems at all.

Of course if the people I was working with hadn't been so lively and intelligent it would have been boring and tiresome.

So long as you don't work in a kindergarten, what's the problem?

Grow a skin!

• David

No not at all and as a member of the Military I reported it to my senior officer who told me where to go in words I don't normally hear in Church.