Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 3 weeks ago

Am I in the wrong? Do I have a right to be upset?

My BF & I have been together for 2.5 years. He moved 1 yr in so we've been long distance since. 

I recently moved to a new state for nursing gradschool. This was a big deal for me bcuz I worked very hard 2 get into 1 of the best schools in the WORLD & the move was a far one. My BF typically tries to be supportive, but lately, many of our occurrences keep putting a bad taste in my mouth. To name a few- he visited right before my program start, I was finishing the furnishing of my place- I love fashion so decorating has been so nice as it is my first apartment aloneFor the entire time he was here, he hit me with jabs that I am "spoiled" & "a brat" bcuz I bought some nice items for my new place. He truly killed any excitementYesterday, I decided to reward myself for 3 weeks into my schooling w/ an "infinity flower" box, I thought it would hold nice symbolism bcuz they're real flowers that have blossomed now & last 2 years..The exact length of my program! I told my boyfriend about my gift to myself & he laughed. I asked why he's laughing & his response was, "I don't know why you constantly need gratification" "you're in nursing school... like congrats?? (in a very degrading tone- he is a doctor so he CONSTANTLY makes demeaning comments like that about nursing). I asked him why he seems so upset by this and his response was that he didn't get anything from anyone for his medschool graduation, but my family has bombarded me w/ support & gifts, so I should "get over it already"   

He comes from a family that never bought him gifts or gave him much affection... I give him SO much love/gifts/support to try & compensate for the lack during his childhood..But why does he even need to compare our lives. Im not a brat. I am just excited & proud. I deserve to fully enjoy this period. I want my partner to 100% share that w/ me! Thats the whole point of a partner! 

I have talked 2 him about my feelings, but he just repeats that im a brat/entitled/get over it-"its nursing school"

I am 24. He is 30.

• Foofa

You're involved with a snob who'll treat you about as well as most physicians treat nurses in the professional realm (which isn't always very respectful). In addition he's envious that apparently you have some family support that he didn't. He thinks he's "all that", not unusually for a very high achiever. But it's probably not going to get any better so you'll need to decide if this is what you want for the rest of your life.

Yeah, delete this dork from your life. Not worth the future grief.

Do you really need permission from strangers to decide the answer to this question? He sounds like a real jackass. Why are you still with someone that talks to you. If he respected you at all he'd be happy for you, not treating you like he is!

I was 50/50 believing this till you came to the 'he is a doctor', then I knew this was all made up crap.