promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 2 months ago

Can my cousin add me as a dependent in the army if I’m disabled? ?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

To be his dependent he has to provide OVER half of the funds to care for you. So, housing? Food? Clothing? Does he pay over half of that? Lets say you get $600 from Social Security for disability. He will have to provide MORE than that before he can claim you as a dependent. The easiest way for the military to make sure they are not being ripped off is to ask to see HIS last tax return. If you are not on it then obviously you are not a dependent of his as he is not claiming you as a dependent.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Only if you .live with him and he pays for your living and he claims you as a dependent

• 2 months ago

nope, not unless you have actually been his dependent for several years

that means he has been paying for your housing, for your food and for your medical and can prove it

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

no.   only parents may be considered as secondary dependents.  

and even then it takes over 2 years to do and is usually denied at least once first.  besides,  secondary dependents do not receive much in the way of benefits.. they do NOT get Tricare for instance.   all they really get out of the deal is  eligibility to reside ion MFH with the sponsor and to be included in PCS orders 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Are you dependent upon him for your living expenses, and can he prove it?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not unless you are a minor and has custody of you through the courts or as an adult who cannot take care of yourself and is appointed your guardian. Then they will have issues if not married. That process can take years to go through and may be denied as usually it is only siblings and parents eligible for becoming dependents 

• 2 months ago

I believe you would need a court order making you his dependent.

• Satan
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes - what has your disability got to do with it?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.