Will VR Ever Become Mainstream?

I'm really into VR and I hope it makes it big in the future, but it seems like after almost four years many people don't really know what it is or have a headset. I think The Oculus Quest helped boost its popularity (Mainly by being inexpensive and being an all in one system) but I am not sure how much that has helped the zeitgeist of VR. I hope VR becomes so popular that it turns into an episode of Black Mirror where they put the little cookie on their head and pretty much enter the matrix, obviously though that comes with some major drawbacks. What are your thoughts on the future of VR?

• 3 days ago

With the current implementation of "VR"? No. It's too expensive and lacks a real amount of immersion. Also the VR helmets and gear tends to be really heavy meaning that after a while you need to take it off.

I don't see it becoming mainstream until the tech advances to a point where it's cheap enough for everybody to afford and it allows for a more comfortable experience.

The newer Startrek series, "Avatar" and other movies like "Surrogates" could be a good indication of what is possible.  Feedback beyond vision and hearing is being experimented.

As technology advances, virtual/augmented reality will almost certainly become more accessible to everyone. It'll presumably be a main part of most lives in the future, as it'll be within more people's budgets.

I'd say it will only really take off when the field of vision matches human peripheral vision limits.

Although these newer generation headsets are a lot better than the last wave, they are still very restricted in view range compared to what we can actually see - and that "tunnel" effect is off putting to many people.

Our natural field of view, side to side with both eyes, is about 190'.

The oculus rift & quest have an FOV of just 90'

For VR to be realistic, you need to be able to glance sideways or look up & down  without turning your head.

Plus the weight needs to come down and the cost needs to be low enough so people can buy them for several people to use together, rather than a single unit being a major expense.

It may happen in time, but I think it's still a few years away.

I have an Oculus Go and when I first got it my family and friends were excited to try it out and once they had used it once or twice they had no interest in using it again or VR itsself. I know my devices limitations and I myself don't use it day in, day out. 

I find the device uncomfortable to wear after 45 minutes, battery life, storage capacity poor (I know all device specific) but it is great when I'm away from home stuck in a hotel room for a bit of gaming, Netflix and YouTube. 

I believe  that VR will always be very niche. Fantastic to use for an hour or two but will never replace gaming on a screen.

Keep in mind that we're basically in the second big effort to push VR as the future.  Back in the mid-90's there was a wave of people calling it the next big thing, with Nintendo releasing a really crap fake-VR system and any number of films being released saying it was to take off in the near future.

Today the technology is obviously more reliable, but I don't think it'll really be where it needs to be until the price goes far enough down that casual users are willing to give it a chance.