What Intel CPU is good for video editing?

Favorite Answer

Editing uncompressed video is throughput-intensive, so I recommend an intel® 7th-Generation Core Processor i7-7920X (FCLGA 2066) and an X199 ATX motherboard with either an Advanced Micro Devices® Radeon® RX™ 580 or 5700 or an nVIDIA® geForce® RTX™ 2080 depending on software compatibility.  Most X199 'boards can take eight DDR4-2666 main memory modules to support the i7-7920X; I recommend a full deck of 4 GiB modules (32 GiB total) as a baseline.  For secondary storage, one SSD in the 256 GB ballpark for the OS and applications and one or more 1 TB NAS-grade hard drives for documents and projects.  Both Antec® and LEPA® manufacture reliable power-supply units in the 1000+ watt class.

• Lv 7

depends on the software. typically, a 9th Gen Core i7 is best.

• Bill-M

Any of the new generation i3,i5,i7 CPU.   With a Good Video Card (GPU) and at least 8GB of RAM.  16GB would be better.

The GPU is more important than the CPU when it comes to Video Editing.

• I bought my video card in 2008. Should I upgrade?

You can edit video just fine on any of the mainstream ones (i3,i5,i7). For 4K or 8K video, you'll probably want an i9 or Xeon W.