Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 month ago

How come nobody on here (Carrie did) seemed to know that Sunday was Burns' night? Is this site littered with Philistines?

• carrie
    Favorite Answer

Carrie knows lots of stuff :)

Try to believe that very few people beyond Scotland's borders give a dam about a Scottish poet who died almost 224 years ago.  Sure, there are a few fanatics, even here in Calgary.  However, as the population of Philistia seems to have peaked at about 30,000 in the 11th C. B.C.E., I highly doubt there are any on Y/A. 

As you're so outspoken about all things Scottish, where were you to celebrate the birthday of John Alexander Macdonald (1815-1891) on 11 January?  After all, he was a Glasgow lad &, among other things, Canada's 1st Prime Minister.   

Stop assuming others are crude just because they aren't enamoured about what you  like.     

My dear......I had an extremely busy  day yesterday, and was saddened to see that you CLOSED out all your Robert Burns questions,   before I had the chance to answer them. 

Are you JOKING?  Robert Burns night is still  WILDLY celebrated in  Kearney, New Jersey, at a restaurant called   The Cove.    It is, or use to be,  a HUGE  Scottish community......and you needed to book  reservations for Burns night, like a YEAR in advance, as it was standing room only. 

Unfortunately,  in recent years........as all the old Scots died off, and the new wave of Pakistani immigrants moved in...........Kearney is now turning into  Paki-town

and Burns Night, was the ONLY thing, keeping The Cove afloat for years now,  as it's their major event for the year. 

Further unfortunately,   just this year.......The Cove was forced to throw in the towel.........as Paki's  apparently don't care much for Scottish food.......and The Cove has announced they will  finally be selling.   The true end  of an ERA .  It was the last place I KNEW,   to still get Great Scottish Meat Pies,  to take home. 

However they ARE keeping their side gift shop open, as apparently it still does world wide business on the INTERNET.....selling all manner of Scottish Items, and Kilt accessories.----but the restaurant became a burden, ....and   even Burns Night,   couldn't keep it afloat anymore. 

Edit:   2 Thumbs down?  People on this site are so weird...........

2 thumbs down because I know what Burns Night is all about?  Huh. 

and while I am here..............Carrie Carrie Carrie!   That's all I hear!     LOL! 

(just joking Carrie!) 

It's a Brady Bunch reference , Seonaid...  Marsha, Marsha Marsha!

• Are YOU aware of every single holiday or tradition in every country? 

The only thing good to come out of Scotland was Kenny Dalgleish and Arbroath Smokies

• Bond James Bond
      1 month agoReport

Scotland is full of White Settlers ; although some are not so white these days.Robbie Burns : Scotland’s answer to Casanova would turn in his grave

philistines can you direct me to their country of origin that has never been established but you seem to be the first one in 2000 years to coin the phrase the inspired men never made that association so MR PHILISTINE expert enlighten all of us heathens to your reference