What would a physical therapy, health coach Job be..? ?

I would like an educated answer on this - say if i was coaching a team (or even just 1 person) but i wanted the expertise to "fix people" if they got injured, like, tell em what they can eat to speed healing/help their health. And help them learn how to move correctly/strengthen muscles etc. Pretty much heal them inside out with nutrition and personal training what would that be called?? Or is that 3 separate certifications...and what would those be..Holistic Health Coaching, Physical Therapy and Sports Coaching..? Thanks!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

The one would be a physical therapist, which you would need at minimum a bachelor's degree. You would be trained most on the job though where the equipment is concerned, as the equipment itself will vary, even if it's similar. The reason being some while similar will have different features, and will be used in slightly different ways.

As far as the nutrition goes, there you're going to definitely need at minimum a bachelor's degree. Also for the nutrition part, you're going to need at least an associate's degree, in biology. You'll also need to be knowledgeable in the various different dietary followings, as well as being able to work with people who may have various food allergies, or intolerances.

Now perhaps the most important thing to remember, is that there's no such thing as a one diet fits all diet. You'll also need to have a very good tolerance for those, who hold to a specific dietary belief, especially if they go against what you personally believe. This is a part of what I've learned over the years. I've not only had to learn in dealing with my own health, but in generally dealing with others, who are of a different dietary following than I am, here on Yahoo Answers. Now as a coach for physical therapy and for nutrition, you could end up dealing with anywhere from the normal type of diet, to the all raw vegan paleo fruititarian. 

You'll do well if you know the differences also between those diets which are healthy long term, to those which are only good as short term, or are considered, by MOST nutritionists, and health professionals, to be outright dangerous. You'll want to know which foods contains which nutrients, as well as in what amounts. Someone could show you for example what looks like on paper a healthy diet, and yet it could come up short in one or more of the more than fourty essential nutrients.

Now while holistic approach can be useful, it's also not a cut and dried matter. While there are some aspects that are beneficial, there are other aspects which are based more on myth, and in many cases has even been debunked by hard science. For example without getting into a lot of specifics, some types of plants can interact in an adverse way either with one another, or with certain types of medications. One such example are certain types of blood thinners, some types of foods has to be limited or restricted, due to their vitamin K content. Then there are other things that will act as blood thinners, that can cause a small cut, to bleed longer and even more profusely,  if eaten or drank with some of those blood thinners. This is an area where you're going to want to cross reference things, for what's fact and what's myth.

Now as far as the sports part goes, you're going to need to watch out for those who are into athletics, body building or weight lifting/training. Some will ave as I said previously a diet that on paper looks good. However when you start to take it apart, it starts coming up short. I've seen where some believe, or seem to believe that they not only as much about nutrition. This also includes where a twenty year old claimed that they knew not only as much about nutrition but more than any licensed nutritionist with a full doctorate knows or would ever know, no matter how long they'd studied or been in the field of nutrition. hey went as far as to claim that all nutritionists in their more highly qualified expert and as a true professional on nutrition, that as an athlete, knew more and was far more qualified too give those uneducated nutritionists classes on nutrition and what was as per their opinion was important and what wasn't.

Now the type of athletes, body building or weight lifting/training, can also be equally found in other dietary following, who thinks that they know all there is to know, or is worth knowing. Those types, and regardless of all else you may as well save your time energy and breath with. Then the other group you'll get some problems from are those in the medical field mainly it'll be doctors and nurses, who had to take a semester or two on nutrition.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.