With Covered California, if you get a cheap plan due to somewhat low income, do you have to do a ton of paperwork like you do if you get?

MediCal or some other free healthcare? I didn't want health insurance in the first place, so being that it is now forced, I'll choose the cheapest possible option, but I might choose to pay $1 per month (as that seems to be an option), instead of free healthcare and doing quarterly reports of I don't know what, and a huge application to start with.

You dont need to buy health insurance...you can pay $695 (or 2.5% of household income) for the pleasure of having no coverage. 

There is very little paperwork. 

- You simply fill out the application and are accepted. 

- When you file taxes for 2020 (spring 2021) you need to complete form 8962,

If you are single and earn less than ​$17,237, you are not eligible for a "cheap plan" on Covered CA.