Anonymous

Should I be a lawyer?

I’m going into college this fall and decided on a political science major but I’m afraid of I decide to not Perdue law that I will be out of luck. I like politics and social justice but I’m afraid of law school because it’s really hard. I’m also very shy and don’t think I’d ever be able to do it. I think I may want to do it but I’m just afraid of failing. I am completely clueless as to what else I may want to do or study. I marine life but ruled out marine biology. I just feel like I’m not smart enough for an advanced job :(

You'd better evaluate your strengths & weaknesses, your talents, interests, abilities, skills, personality & character traits before going off to college. What are you thinking you'd like to do with your life, and how do people doing such things end up getting there?

Law is an extremely glutted market & has been at least since the 1970s. If you think law school admissions are competitive, you have not begun to assess how much more demanding prospective employers are in a grossly glutted market.

Why do you lack confidence in your prospects for "an advanced job?" Do you have conflicting goals, or mediocre academic background, or what? Sit down with a legal pad & do your serious self-assessment before you choose anything. And then research various careers you think you might be interested in & suited for to see what's required in that field.

• Expat

It’s a very common misconception that political science is a good or even preferred major for pre-law. One of the most common statements made on orientation day, the first day of law school is, “who here majored in political science? (many raise their hands) Forget everything they taught you! They were wrong! Who majored in English? . . Good choice! You should be able to write fairly well. If you can’t write you’ll never make it! Who majored in sciences or math? . . Excellent! A solid background in any can prove useful to your future. Who majored in what they liked and now want to go to law school? . . Great! You had your fun, now it’s time to get serious!” I’ve been a university professor for more than 20 years. You have your first 2 years to figure things out. Try to decide if you’re interested in sciences or arts; of you know that much you can choose general required courses in your first year and figure things out as you go.