Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 3 weeks ago

Should I fight off a ticket for parking within 15ft of a fire hydrant in NY ? I was in the drivers seat, and moved when officer asked me to.?

It can not hurt you to try to fight it, but you will need proof beyond a reasonable doubt that you did not park 15 within the fire hydrant. Most parking and traffic tickets are tough to convince a judge that you did not comment the offense.  

Yes, if you were never parked within 15 feet of the hydrant, by all means go to Court and "fight them off."  Bring proof.

• Bruce

Moving after being ordered to is not a valid defense. Being in the drivers seat is not a valid defense. The only valid defense is that you were more than 15 feet away. 

Moving when you were asked, or told to, saved you from an additional ticket, and from being towed.  Why would it mean that you don't owe the ticket for illegally parking there in the first place?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
    • shelss3 weeks agoReport

The dmv website states that I can as long as a licensed driver (me) remains in the vehicle to move it in an emergency

You just CONFESSED to the charge. If you fight the ticket, this question can be used to convict you.

• Kyle

so you still chose to park where you did, close to a fire hydrant.