Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 3 weeks ago

Which do you prefer a bachelor, bachelorette party or wedding shower together fiance and fiancee?

• Jon
    Favorite Answer

One doesn't substitute for the other; they are two very different things. So, if there's time for both, why not have both?

• GB

When I got married, a wedding showers were unheard of in the UK.  I would not have wanted one, even if I had heard of them during my engagement.  We had stag and hen parties, though (bachelor  and bachelorette.)

i'd rather be with my boyfriend 

Bridal showers, as orchestrated from days gone by, were for couples who we're leaving home to start their married life. As such, friends and family would get together to help the couple set up house with various household items.

In today's day and age, people are moving out of their parents house and living on their own prior to engagement or marriage. This type of Lifestyle change kind of defeats the purpose of a bridal shower because once adult children live out on their own, they begin collecting those household items on there own.

So, bridal showers have actually lost a lot of their meaning based on their initial intent.

What most people do not realize is that a wedding gift is not mandatory oh, and that was another reason for bridal shower. Now many people expect bridal shower gifts and wedding gifts. And yes it does sometimes seem like gift grabbing. But you must realize that the Youth of today have a lot more entitlement issues than those of yesteryear. And I'm not saying that to offend anybody , really. It is just the way it is.

Now there are Jack and Jill bridal showers. Bachelorette parties that last a weekend and costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars 4 those who are obligated to attend, and this is after throwing the shower and buying the shower gift and before buying the wedding gift.

If I were asked today to be an attendant at a friend's wedding, I would decline. Being an attendant at a wedding, plus the cost of the shower the bachelorette party and the wedding gift is way more money that I would like to spend just because someone fell in love. I am no Scrooge, but the fact of the matter is that 50% of marriages end in divorce anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good wedding and probably shed a tear and every one of them because I'm a Sentimental fool. However with all the weddings I've been to and all the money I've spent being in weddings, I I have probably spent a few thousand dollars in total.

I'm just not interested in attending you all those festivities anymore, other than the actual wedding itself. And yes, even though it's not mandatory oh, I always give a wedding gift.

• Kelly

Really, none of the above.

I had offers of a shower when I got married but declined because I didn't want one.  I didn't see it as an opportunity for a gift grab or to upgrade to newer/better things at the expense of my family/friends.  I also didn't have a baby shower, I bought what I would need for my kids.  Though we did appreciate any gifts we received, they weren't necessary.  However, I do still attend/host showers and don't have any issues with people who view it differently than I do.

I did have a bachelorette weekend in Chicago, my BFF lived there and so did my husbands sister.. they planned it.  We live in Michigan so those who also went including me took a train there.  I'm not a drinker so bars/clubs really don't appeal to me.  We ended up mostly doing touristy things and also went to the theater.

Wedding showers aren't necessary and seem to be mostly based on greed. You get gifts when you get married; you don't also need gifts just for getting engaged.

• Tepee

A shower is a much better option.

I don't think having a girlfriend or wife is possible when strangers I don't know ask me questions like this, my Dad was a Citigroup Director, I knew hundreds of people, have 3 degrees, run the mile in less then 8 still, was voted 3rs best looking in my college prep program, best artist in my grammar school, and have no job over 60k. Something is really missing here Am I going to suck the girl of the trains toes 24/7 instead of paying 3k for a necklace?!