Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 4 weeks ago

Why do most people insist on going to warm places if their going to be homeless ?

Don't most people who live in warm places hate the homeless because they have too many of them and see them as threatening to people who work hard and are trying to pay bills, so they treat them like they don't care if they die for that reason? you're better off in a small New England city like Portland Maine. I know it gets cold, but ever heard of something called a shelter? They have plenty of shelter space there, they never get full and they feed you well.

I meant to write they're instead of their, my bad

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

The homelessness epidemic isn't affecting all "warm places" equally. It's bad on the west coast because of the Ninth Circuit ruling in Martin v. Boise that's been misinterpreted by our major policing agencies. But all the southerly parts east of Arizona still enforce vacancy laws and this is way more and more vagrants are pouring into cities like L.A. and San Francisco. So it's more about going where you're free to shoot up and defecate freely in the streets than about the weather.

I live in a place with a relatively warm climate and a very long growing season (it runs from the end of March clear through until the end of November) and we still have a homeless problem here. It's a small town I live in- total population here is only around 35K, maybe a few more. The little village I live closest to only has a population of around 3K.

I don't hate the homeless and I never will. The great majority of people I've met who were homeless were hard working people who fell into unfortunate circumstances, often through no real fault of their own. Blaming the poor for being poor does nothing to help them change their condition.

I was raised in the Midwest, and homelessness was something I was never aware of growing up. I didn't become aware of it until after I left home for college, because I lived in the country for most of my middle school and teenage years. Even after I left, I seldom if ever saw anyone who was homeless, and I certainly never knew anyone who was.

• John

Alt-right= whine then blame but we got no ideas.  It's a fact that if anybody had a solution it would be done. It's fundamentally a problem with capitalism - the richer the rich get the poorer the poor get. I saw a picture of a huge homeless camp on FB. It was in Paris, as in France.

From what I've seen, they flock to liberal cities that blindly give out handouts while ignoring crime.

Seattle has a massive homeless problem. They've spent billions of dollars "fighting" the problem in the form of handouts and it just attracts more homeless people. Crime is so bad they won't prosecute most crimes such as shoplifting, drug possession, etc so the homeless know they can just walk into any store and take what they need and even if they get arrested the courts will just drop the case without even having a hearing.

Many of the homeless have jobs and do work hard. And they can't move to somewhere like Maine, because they can't get a job there. There's a reason that they live in San Francisco -- that's where they can get a job, even though it doesn't pay enough to get a home there.

cause they dont want to be in a shelter,they cant drink and do drugs there

They don't want to eat well, they want to shoot heroin. Most shelters won't allow that, so the warmer climates win.

It's a lot more than a generalization. I work with the population. That's what they do. Maybe the ones who don't are up north. I'm in Southern California, and the homeless here refuse funded shelter because they can't get high.

• Starlight 1
      3 weeks agoReport

SoCal is notorious for its drug and alcohol culture, and it always has been. That's been made worse by the opioid crisis, of course, but it's not something that will go away- even if the issue with the drugs is finally resolved.