Anonymous

How do people manage to go to college when they have kids?

Today was the first day of classes and we did one of those get-to-know-you activities. I learned that one of my classmates has a 5 year old child. I have no idea how she does it. She looks so young too. 

Sometimes it's a great support system but sometimes that's not available to them. You could always ask if she would be comfortable telling you her story.

They all have one thing in common ... they have help from someone else.  If they say they don't they're lying.  They have parents, a friend or a husband helping.

Having a child, or any competing responsibility, makes college success more difficult. Adding obstacles certainly makes prospects for achievement more challenging. If you really want it, you deal with whatever it takes to make it happen. Whether that means working full-time while going to school, arranging childcare, or anything else. You rise to your occasion, or go down.

Everybody has their own obstacles in life, challenges, things to overcome. It's up to you to do or not do.

They’re set on achieving their goal, and have probably planned both short and long term criteria to help make it happen. It’s not easy, but it’s possible.

My parents had two children born during my dad's university years. I was the oldest, about 4 when he graduated. How did they do it? My guess is they just kept working, at school, at home, and at work. Some people have relatives they can call on for child care. That helps.

After my parents divorced, my mother went to university almost full time and worked part time with four teenage boys at home. I'd left home by then. It helped that she brought us all up to help with anything connected to looking after the daily business of a family. We could all cook, clean, do dishes, buy groceries, do laundry, etc by the time we were teenagers.

• Expat

I did it all from start to PhD married with kids. How do we do it? Perseverance, hard work and motivated by a will to provide a good life for our family. Why do you do it? What’s your motivation? If a child depended on you, you would probably see that as a great motivator. At least I hope it would. 

Lots of people do it. A friend of mine went to college after her husband left her. She had three small children at the time. When I have older students in my classes- students with jobs and families- they are often the most motivated. They know why they're in school, and they are determined to succeed.

they manage somehow,maybe you should ask her

• DON W

For a five year old enrolled in full-day kindergarten, that leaves many hours of daytime (at least from 10-2) when the mom can be in class.  If there's a spouse who can watch the child in the evening, that leaves night classes an option.

Is it easy?  Nope.  Can it be done?  Yep.

• danxp2

You should ask the 5 year old. They know how they do it best.