Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

Writing tips?

I really love to write about characters that I have made, but when I do, my writing is dry and a little boring. I'm usually not motivated to write anything, so on the rare occasion that I do, I rush the story a bit. I've tried making a timeline for my whole story, but it's still hard to make each page different and still interesting. Do you have any tips?

My tip for you is to not worry about making each page different and interesting. Sometimes, you have to have a few pages that are just filler pages for background information. Also, to avoid boring writing, I suggest having conflicts that reveal who your characters really are. For example, one such conflict could be a character's spouse cheating on them. The way they react shows who they are as a person (if they react by berating, it shows that they are not always a nice person, especially when betrayed).

• Imp

George RR Martin said "write everyday, nothing makes you a better writer than writing"!

• JerryL

write chacater profiles then write you plot and read alot i mean alot

Source(s): author

Don't worry about that in your early drafts. Focus on getting something down. Work on developing your characters, creating scenarios to put them in, and doing writing prompts. I honestly face a similar problem, as my strong point is creating characters and dialogue. My husband helps with most of the plot and I write it.

If you want to create a less boring story have your characters get involved in a crisis and build up suspense on whether the crisis will be resolved or not

• Amber

Just some thoughts...

1) Are you writing in the correct area for you? Maybe scripts or gaming would suit you. Better

2) lower your expectations of your first draft

3) Have people told you your work is dry and boring or do you just think it is? If it's you then get more opinions.

4) Have you tried just writing without a plan? If it didn't work for you. When you plan, are you doing all the necessary stuff or getting caught up in the mundane? Example: I hear people all the time talking about how they've done an "extensive" profile for their character. This consist of over the top names, ages, detailed physical description and a list of personality traits. That's not extensive, it's not in-depth and all that important. That's why they are struggling. 

5) whatever your weaknesses are read books/authors that are known to be expert in your weaknesses and see how they handle it. Then practice. Copy out there work and see if you can get a feel for what they're doing.

6) read in general. Not fluff. Good material.

Hope something I suggested helps you x

• Logan

Stop having standards for early drafts. That's not when you should be worrying about dry writing. The flowery sh*t comes after you get everything you want on the page. Like dressing up anything to look good you have to set up the boring looking base first and then add all the flowers and sparkles and what not.

However, good planning can also help with getting the writing done and always choose each word with care.

• Marli

You don't need to "make each page different".

If you are writing a story, you are taking your main characters and your reader through an "adventure" page by page. That's what Arthur Conan Doyle called his stories. The main characters discover something, go through an ordeal, or win or lose what they really want, and they are changed by the experience.

• Mandy

So, I do not understand.  You wrote that you love to write - yet, your writing ends up being dry and boring.  If you love to write, that just seems odd to me. Perhaps, you are not writing about what you know or you may not be very imaginative.