Why are people so big on giving a 2-week notice when leaving a job?

If you hate the job i think you should be able to just quit.

Just as a job is able to let you go with no notice. They’re not thinking about your needs either at that point

Thoughts?

Favorite Answer

It's about respect and professionalism, and really about one's own good character.  In most cases for most people, it's like this:  You go to work every day because you need them.  For two weeks, they need you.  Do the right thing and give back.

• Diane A
      4 weeks agoReport

And most schedules are done two weeks out and hard to change

The only time I would ever "just quit" is if someone became extremely volatile and/or physically threatening or abusive.

I very nearly walked out on my last job that had become extremely toxic because a someone threw a syringe with an uncovered needle—not AT anyone, in the opposite direction of anyone, but still—because she was angry that she wasn't able to get a sample she needed. She frequently acted as though she was better than the other people that worked with her, including myself, and was one of the problems with the place.

Even though the company won't give you a two-weeks' notice when you're fired, you're not screwing over the company by just walking out—you're screwing over the people you worked closely with.

• John

Tradition..................

You aren't thinking about their needs either, are you?  It's all about you, isn't it.

• Giving notice isn't always mandatory, unless you're contracted to do it or you don't want to use the place as a reference. With my workplace, I'm contracted to work the last 2 weeks notice or I don't get a reference letter. Some people have quit without notice, they weren't there long enough to get a reference letter. Also I don't wan't to 'burn any bridges', if I've worked with a company for longer then a few months.

Sorry but most jobs don't care about your needs. They need people to work for them. If you end up not liking the job then you do what you have to do.

If you liked the company then the 2 weeks notice gives them an opportunity to get someone else in there that you can train. If you are fired they typically want you out immediately fearing you might be angry and will mess things up.

Its a maturity thing. Something you will never have.

• Amy

You're allowed to quit with no notice.

But if you want the employer to give you a good reference when the new jobs you apply for come asking, then you should make things easier for them.

I have never given a notice in my life I've had 23 jobs in 12 years and I just leave without telling them they end up ringing me buct I just block their number

They shouldn't be.

Companies will fire you with 10 minutes notice meeting with H.R.