I am the only bridesmaid at my sister wedding. Do I have to stand up there for 45 minutes or can I sit down with my family in the front row?

I would feel like I am in orbit, because there is only 30 guests and it is being held at a golf club, not a church or chapel. I figured after she hands me her flowers I will just sit down as well as the best man. The pastor will be there and it will be a 45 minute standing period which would be hard on anyone's feet. What would you all do? Please, help.

• Teal
    Favorite Answer

Typically the bridesmaids and groomsmen stand as long as the bride and groom do. If you have concerns though, you should tell her. Since you are the only bridesmaid it shouldn't be disruptive for you to discreetly find a seat. But this is something you need to work out before the rehearsal.

You stand. Unless the bride and groom say otherwise.

Talk to your sister about it. Suggest you sit at the front on her side - just as the best man sits at the side on the groom's side. Discuss it with the pastor first to see if it's acceptable to him. Perhaps a guest could bring a folding stool for you to sit down mid-aisle behind the B&G as an alternative.

The Bridesmaids stand through the ceremony. So does the Best Man.

• Ocimom

Sorry but the bridesmaids, maid of honor and groomsmen including the best man will be standing as long as the bride and groom ad pastor are standing there.  You can't go and sit down.

Ask your sister what she wants you to do.

• Jerry

How can an exchange of vows last 45 minutes? Is the pastor going to deliver a sermon? Will there be a musical interval? If the plan is for couple and attendants to stand there at the front of the church during the entire 45 minutes, that's a bad plan. Go to the couple and tell them you're concerned you won't be able to do that, concerned that THEY won't be able to that, and insist some provision be made to allow you to sit more and stand less. 

If you have medical reasons for not being able to stand I suppose you will have to sit.  Can you put a stool next to your sister and sit next to her...

why would you stand up there for 45 minutes??? the bride and groom won't be standing for 45 minutes that's for damn sure

• Eva

That's long for a non-church wedding. If they are going to do a lot of readings or other ceremonies, you may be able to sit down during those. You'll need to ask her.