Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 3 weeks ago

Lump on my vagina?

If anybody could tell me if they have had a similar experience I’d appreciate it. So a few years ago I had a small lump on the top of my vulva which went away after a while and today I have just noticed it come back in exactly the same place. It hurts a bit now and is bigger than last time and I’m a little worried. I have had unprotected sex before, but my partner and I have both been tested. Also, the first time this lump formed was years ago, before I was sexually active. I’m worried it’s something bad, hopefully it is just a blocked gland. Does anybody know what it might be? 

The lump is about the size of a pea, it is hard and is tender to the touch. It is also a tiny bit reddish-purple 

It burst this morning. Filled with pus and blood. It’s a little swollen now but has massively decreased during the day and much less pain. 

Sounds like a fatty cyst.  Unfortunately, a doctor has to pop it, and pull out the cyst sac, otherwise the sac will fill up again. It is some what ok if it pops on its own, instead of you popping it.  but still can cause an infection. Most of the time doctors may give a steroid injections and some times that works, but being it near your privates, not recommended.  Something that needs to be looked at soon.   

It's probably a cyst and it will probably start coming back sooner and sooner. You may have to get some medicine to make it quit coming back and it may come back in different locations.

• Edna

It could be a large pimple or a cyst.

it could geniunely be a blocked gland - but if its reoccuring and getting larger you need to see a doctor. It cannot be an STI if you've been tested so its not sex-related. It could be a tumour but you simply won't know until you see someone, and its in your best interest to do it soon. I've had the same issue, it turned out to be a blocked gland but that was confirmed after seeing my GP

• Tavy

Bartholin cyst, I get them, give it a google. They are harmless .

There are several causes for a lump in the vulva, among them a cyst, an ingrown hair or an STD. Click on the link below for a description of each and advice on how to treat them.

So with the information given it's highly unlikely to be something serious. This happens to women a lot for various reasons and most of the time it's harmless. It's obvious though that most people here aren't experts and it would be wise for you to visit a doctor, in order to feel relieved! Best of luck.