Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

Movers! If you’re a mover would you charge your girlfriend for boxes that would be free?

My bf and I were not on good terms and had put distance between one another. My close friend needed to move ASAP. She had found movers but I wanted to still support my bf so I reached out to him for the job. He asked if she had a truck, boxes, etc. I let him know she would be getting a truck and no to the boxes. Btw he is a mover. So, he gave me a quote based on the square feet of her apartment. His quote was just about the amount she had budgeted. She has a 2BR apartment and only one of the bedrooms was furnished along with the living, dining and kitchen having much furniture to pack and would charge $3200 to move her belongings into storage. He asked about boxes? I told him she doesn’t have any. He said he could provide them, but it would cost. I told him since I know she don’t have enough for it, I can come up w the money for the boxes for her to help. 

Long story short, I went to his job to go pick them up a week later and found out his job actually has new and used boxes in their warehouse. The used boxes are available to anyone who wants them. I felt hurt and used that someone who knows my money is already tight, would make me pay for something that I could have gotten for free but wanted to profit off me. I barely had it to help my friend get them but I wanted to help her and support him. Am I overreacting by feeling taking advantage of? Any movers can give a POV to help me understand. 

Thank you 

Favorite Answer

How much did the boxes actually cost you? I think he should've told you about the old boxes. Did she compare his price with other movers?

• Ace Shorty

You wouldn't think that a former b/f would try to rip you off this way. You also need to get some references on those people, being cheaper doesn't always work out the best but it did for you. :))

Your boyfriend is in business.... people are in business to make money, not to give things away.

And using someone else's "used moving boxes"? I never would. They can have bed bugs, roaches or god-knows-wat lurking in them from the last person's items.

• imani2 months agoReport

Do you think it’s normal in business to charge $3200 for a 2BR move as well. Also, the warehouse rep at my bf job that handles boxes told me when I went to pick up the boxes that whenever boxes are sold, they MUST disclose all available options for supplies to customers. New and used. My bf did NOT

FFS...if you want free boxes, go to the liquor store like everyone else has done for the past fifty years. 

No one "made" you pay for anything.   You volunteered to buy her boxes.