do newer windows 10 laptops accept older wifi cards like intel AC 8265?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

If they have drivers available probably. It comes down to the model, but in Intels case I believe that with the right driver it will work without a problem //not necessarily win10

• Login to reply the answers
  • John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I haven't seen that slot in many years. I buy a new HP laptop every 3 yrs.

• 4 weeks ago

Instead of a "wifi card" for a laptop, try a USB port wireless adapter.  Some are tiny, no bigger than a wireless mouse receiver.

But I don't know why you even need it if you are getting a "newer windows 10 laptop" that has a perfectly fine wireless adapter and antenna inside it already.

• P
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Unfortunately such cards often do not have compatibility across models.   It's not going to have a problem with windows 10, but the laptop's motherboard is likely to reject it.  It's one of those parts you have to scour the internet for to find the exact part the laptops were sold with to replace.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

if they have Win10 drivers.

Windows doesn't know how to use a device without drivers.

• 4 weeks ago

Whether or not the laptop supports arbitrary cards at all depends on the BIOS; some are locked down, others aren't. Whether Windows 10 supports a piece of hardware or not depends on if the manufacturer or Microsoft has written a driver for it. In the case of your particular card, you could have easily looked it up and seen that there was a driver for it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29258/Wi...

• 4 weeks ago

My desktop doesn't have WiFi built in, but I have a WiFi dongle that's about 10 years old and it works fine.  Windows 10 will recognize any peripheral plugged into it and will try to find and install the proper driver.  This doesn't work EVERY time but about 99% of times.  So the odds are very good that if you just plug a WiFi device into a laptop running Windows 10 it will start working all on its own, just give it a few minutes.

• Jim
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Newer laptops have wifi built in so there is no need for another card.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.