do newer windows 10 laptops accept older wifi cards like intel AC 8265?

Favorite Answer

If they have drivers available probably. It comes down to the model, but in Intels case I believe that with the right driver it will work without a problem //not necessarily win10

• John

I haven't seen that slot in many years. I buy a new HP laptop every 3 yrs.

Instead of a "wifi card" for a laptop, try a USB port wireless adapter.  Some are tiny, no bigger than a wireless mouse receiver.

But I don't know why you even need it if you are getting a "newer windows 10 laptop" that has a perfectly fine wireless adapter and antenna inside it already.

• P

Unfortunately such cards often do not have compatibility across models.   It's not going to have a problem with windows 10, but the laptop's motherboard is likely to reject it.  It's one of those parts you have to scour the internet for to find the exact part the laptops were sold with to replace.

• Lv 7

if they have Win10 drivers.

Windows doesn't know how to use a device without drivers.

Whether or not the laptop supports arbitrary cards at all depends on the BIOS; some are locked down, others aren't. Whether Windows 10 supports a piece of hardware or not depends on if the manufacturer or Microsoft has written a driver for it. In the case of your particular card, you could have easily looked it up and seen that there was a driver for it.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29258/Wi...

My desktop doesn't have WiFi built in, but I have a WiFi dongle that's about 10 years old and it works fine.  Windows 10 will recognize any peripheral plugged into it and will try to find and install the proper driver.  This doesn't work EVERY time but about 99% of times.  So the odds are very good that if you just plug a WiFi device into a laptop running Windows 10 it will start working all on its own, just give it a few minutes.

• Jim

Newer laptops have wifi built in so there is no need for another card.